The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iPhone to Mac import before Sync? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've just bought OmniFocus for my iPhone and I'm really loving it. So much so I'm considering buying OmniFocus for my Mac as well. Is it possible to import my existing database into the Mac before I setup sync? I looked in the manual, and unless I was being dumb, it all seemed to be about syncing from the Mac as the main device initially. I don't want to wipe my database!

Happy to help! The manual was written from that perspective, but it's pretty easy to reverse the sync. Just sync your phone with the server before setting up sync on the Mac.

Once you set up sync on the Mac, it'll pop up an alert that says (basically) "hey, there's data on the server already; do you want to use that instead of the data I have?"

When that message appears, just click the button that lets that proceed. Basically, don't click the "Cancel" button in that panel that appears, and you should be fine, but if you have any questions at all, feel free to call us at 800.315.6664 or email and we're happy to help.

Thanks for your reply Brian. Just to clarify, do I need to do it via your Omnigroup sync servers (I forget what they are called!). I was hoping to just do it locally - for tedious reasons we need not go into the Mac I will be sync'ing it with isn't (and is unlikely ever to be) online.

Nope, you don't have to sync to our server. So long as the Mac and iPhone can establish a connection on your WiFi network, you'll be able to use the Bonjour sync method.

(Only Apple's applications can sync over the wired connection when your phone is plugged into iTunes/the Mac.)

Hmm, in iTunes, when I plug my phone in, under the "Apps" tab, there's the "the following apps on your iPhone are able to transfer files to your mac" (or something like that) bit, which allows me to copy the omnifocus database from my phone onto the computer, would that work in this case? I'm not sure if pointing the mac version of omnifocus at the database from the iphone version would mess things up