The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Viewing Due Date & Time Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there a way to be able to view both the date and time a task is due? I haven't seen a way to configure it.

Right now, when I use the 'Due' view, I can see all the tasks that are due 'Today' -- but I don't have any visibility into which ones are due at noon and which ones are due at 5p.

I'd love to be able to configure it so that it says "Today 5:00p" or "3/10/10 12:00p".

From the 1.7 release notes:

Experimental Features
In addition to "Yesterday", "Today" and "Tomorrow" you can have date cells show the time. Since this feature is still experimental there isn't a preference interface for it yet, but here are some commands you can enter into Terminal to adjust the built-in settings:

Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus RelativeDateFormatterShowTime YES
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus RelativeDateFormatterDefaultWantsTruncatedTime YES
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus RelativeDateFormatterUseRelativeDayNames YES
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus RelativeDateFormatterDateFormatStyle medium
The first line alone is sufficient for your request, but adding the second will get you a more compact format.

whpalmer4, thanks for the posting...
will this set of Terminal commands show the time in every date column (Start, Due & Completed) or just the Due column?
If it is the former, is there a way to make it display the date & time only in the Due column?
Also, what is the command to restore it to default?
tia.

It will do this for all 3 columns (start, due, completed), and I don't know of a way to limit it to a subset. Use Help->Send Feedback to request such functionality if you think you need it. With my column widths, it always takes two lines to show date + time, so it is irrelevant to me whether or not it is shown in all the columns as the footprint is the same.

To remove the options, substitute "delete" for "write" in the terminal commands.

Thank you whpalmer4. I have tried removing the options by substituting "delete" for "write" in the terminal commands but Terminal says it's an error and the options persist. I have also tried substituting "NO" for "YES" in the first line but to no avail. Am I missing something?

Sorry, you need to omit the value as well:

Code:
defaults delete com.omnigroup.OmniFocus RelativeDateFormatterShowTime
to remove the first one, for example.

That did the trick :)
I've set up a macro to toggle it off & on.
I think it would be a good thing to have optional date/time formatting for each column in Prefs.
...especially to be able to see exact times for only those due dates for which a specific time has been set. I'll request it via ninjas.
Thanks once again for you help.

Has anyone gotten this to work with 1.8 preview?

I'm getting no change in 1.8 with these settings.

Strange. After a couple of launches, it suddently worked...

Then, another question, if I want 24h format, 12:00 instead of 12p, do I need to provide more specified format on RelativeDateFormatterDateFormatStyle?

fedex,

To change the format you would have to go to System Preferences → Language & Text → Customize in the Date section, and then modify the medium field by dragging and dropping elements and/or clicking on each item's drop down for more options.

You can find a related Apple support article if you search for "Incorrect date or time displayed in various applications in Mac OS X." (I'm new and can't post links yet.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedex View Post
Strange. After a couple of launches, it suddently worked...

Then, another question, if I want 24h format, 12:00 instead of 12p, do I need to provide more specified format on RelativeDateFormatterDateFormatStyle?