The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Book: Creating Flow with OmniFocus (Feedback request) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi Everyone,

For the last 9 or 10 months, I've been working on a book presently titled, Creating Flow with OmniFocus. It is designed to take a user from the basics of OmniFocus through an advanced usage that incorporates horizons of focus, best practices, using templates, among other ideas. It uses how the mind thinks about projects and tasks towards building a working system.

I would like to give out 4 copies for the purpose of receiving feedback, comments, and criticisms. ... (all copies given out.)

The book is not ready for public release, but it does have a solid structure at this point. Publishing, format, pricing, etc are still all up in the air.

Thanks!
- Kourosh

Update:

I've given out all the copies. Thanks to everyone who's offered!

I'll keep everyone updated as to how the book is progressing.

- Kourosh

Last edited by Kourosh; 2010-09-08 at 08:55 AM..

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to send an update that the book is almost ready for release. I'm hoping it should be ready by early next week. I want to say thank you very much especially to those of you in the forums who helped in the editing/feedback stage of the process.

The site where the eBook will be released is UsingOmniFocus.com though it's not quite there yet.

I hope you enjoy it! :-)

- Kourosh

Congrats! Send me a private message on the forums when everything is up and running and the OmniFocus twitter account can tweet about this for you...

Thanks for the book! I was impressed with the web site and the free preview. Didn't hesitate to purchase it!

Thank you for sharing your expertise in OmniFocus. It will help me unlock the full power of OmniFocus.

Over the years, I've been able to slowly unlock different aspects of OmniFocus but this eBook will help me accelerate my Omni-Fu.

I bought your book last night and I'm really enjoying this.

It's extremely well put together and full of great tips. I can tell you really had this project well thought out and planned.

It's also great that you provide a pdf., mobi, and epub. files.

Thanks!

Hi Wilson and Tyler,

I'm glad you are liking it :-)) I'm ecstatic at the responses so far.

It may seem that it was well planned out, but I think about half the work was arranging the thoughts in a cohesive order after writing them down. I kept (and continue to keep) a "Thoughts to Add" project in OmniFocus to which I could add ideas for the book as they came to me. I'd then regularly visit that project as I wrote the book.

Meanwhile, I'd be re-arranging the book's order which took a while. A fairly regular conversation I'd have with myself was: "can I add this section here?" "I don't think I covered a particular part of the process." "That's another section then." "Oh wait, I cover some of it later - maybe I can move that back some" - "but that section's dependent on this other one," etc.

Now that the book's done and I continue to have additional ideas, I am trying to figure out whether and how to incorporate them into the present book which would make it that much larger. Alternatively, I could create an addendum. We'll see where it goes ...

- Kourosh

Last edited by Kourosh; 2011-03-13 at 03:48 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kourosh View Post
Now that the book's done and I continue to have additional ideas, I am trying to figure out whether and how to incorporate them into the present book which would make it that much larger. Alternatively, I could create an addendum. We'll see where it goes ...

- Kourosh
LOL.... the life of an author and editor...... It always feel like it's a work in progress that will never finish itself.

Perhaps when we see OmniFocus 2.0, you'll come out with a new edition.

I know some folks post addendums on their web site. Others like the TidBITs and Take Control eBook series often send updates to the registered buyers. So many ways to tackle the addendum issue.

I think this valuable resource should be posted on the OmniGroup's OmniFocus page for folks to see. OmniFocus can be a very formidable program to master but it sure is worth it!

Thanks for contributing back to the OmniFocus community in such a big way.

Looks like the site for the book is down.

Yup - it was. It's back up again. I had to stare at it a bit.