The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Simple steps to make effective use of workspace and snapshot Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Objective: Save all or some of the URLs of browsing sessions using whatever "feature" or tool is appropriate: ie.,g workspaces, snapshots, spatulas, coffee. Seriously.

How do you typically use workspace and snapshot? What do you see as the benefit from the way you use it?

As you respond, please consider the following:
Given #1: In Omniweb, I have several open windows, each with multiple tabs. Each window's tabs pertain to the same subject or category, ie., each window is homogenous with respect to topic, but windows differ from each other by topic.
Questions:
How does one create a workspace to save the existing open windows and tabs and, if so, what would the steps be?

Is it correct that, when creating a workspace, you are not saving the URLs for open windows and tabs but rather creating a new workspace? (That seems to be the case.)
Given #2:
As with previous "given", I have several open windows, each with multiple tabs. However, NOT all tabs in each window pertain to the same subject or category, ie., windows are heterogeneous with respect to topic.
Questions:
Is there a way to choose only certain open tabs and/or windows that you want to include in a Workspace and then allocate them to that workspace, excluding others?

Can you move individual tabs to a workspace? It appears that you cannot do this.

Is there a way to include selected tabs in a Workspace that does not require you to close (and temporarily "lose") other open tabs and/or windows that you do not wish to include? (I don't want to use bookmarks.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexattend View Post
How do you typically use workspace and snapshot? What do you see as the benefit from the way you use it?
I usually have about 5-10 workspaces at any given time. One of them I use for reading a fixed set of pages every day (my favorite comic strips), so I use a snapshot to restore it to the standard configuration, if I should happen to open some other windows or tabs. My other workspaces tend to be devoted to a particular topic that I'm researching. I almost always set the Auto-save while browsing option on my workspaces so that my window/tab state is preserved if I quit (or OmniWeb crashes, usually because I've exhausted the 32-bit address space). Also, OmniWeb doesn't use as much memory this way as it would if I had all of the windows/tabs open at once. It probably shouldn't come as any great surprise to anyone who knows how I (ab)use OmniFocus that I often have 100+ tabs open in a given workspace. My surfing style is to click on lots of links that look interesting, opening them in background tabs, then work my way through the collection of tabs, reading, opening more interesting links, closing. Usually I finish the day with more tabs than when I started :-)
Quote:
Questions:
How does one create a workspace to save the existing open windows and tabs and, if so, what would the steps be?
Bring up the Workspaces window with Workspace->Show Workspaces. Click the Auto-save while browsing checkbox. The windows in that workspace will be preserved.
Quote:
Is it correct that, when creating a workspace, you are not saving the URLs for open windows and tabs but rather creating a new workspace? (That seems to be the case.)
Yes, creating a new workspace gets you a new "blank" workspace with a single window. You might want to be sure that the Auto-save box is checked for your current workspace before creating a new one, just to be sure you don't lose anything; you immediately get sent to the new workspace when you create one.

Quote:

Questions:
Is there a way to choose only certain open tabs and/or windows that you want to include in a Workspace and then allocate them to that workspace, excluding others?
Yes, with the Workspace window. You can drag windows (right hand column) to the workspace desired. You have to take the whole window, however.
Quote:
Can you move individual tabs to a workspace? It appears that you cannot do this.
No, you can only move windows. This may require some shuffling of tabs from window to window to get organized.
Quote:
Is there a way to include selected tabs in a Workspace that does not require you to close (and temporarily "lose") other open tabs and/or windows that you do not wish to include? (I don't want to use bookmarks.)
Make a new window, and move those tabs you want into it. You can just drag the URL into the URL drawer (click on the drawer button to open the drawer initially). Then bring up the Workspaces window and drag the window containing the tabs you want to move into the appropriate workspace.

Potentially helpful tip when organizing: double-clicking on a window title in the Workspaces window brings it to the top of your stack of windows. Conversely, bringing a window to the top of your stack promotes it to the top of the Workspaces window.

Last edited by whpalmer4; 2011-03-09 at 01:15 PM..