The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Using OmniFocus' "Review" Functionality Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Has anyone found a decent way to use the "Review" functionality in OmniFocus?

The tools at our disposal seem to be:
  • The Review section in the Project inspector that allows you to enter a date when the project needs to be reviewed (and, optionally, a recurrence value) and see when it was last reviewed.
  • The ability to filter by "Next Review" in the Filter Ribbon.
  • The ability to mark a project "Reviewed" by using "Mark Reviewed" in the Edit menu or (optionally) the Toolbar.

But I haven't found a way to use those tools in any meaningful way. Since I'm going through all of my projects as part of my weekly review already, setting up review dates and recurrence values seems like a lot of extra work with no real benefit.

I'm probably missing something obvious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grettir
Since I'm going through all of my projects as part of my weekly review already, setting up review dates and recurrence values seems like a lot of extra work with no real benefit.
It seems to me that the benefit is to specify tasks that need more frequent or less frequent review. I have set up urgent projects to require a daily review, or a review every 2 days. Projects on the back burner but still active have a review every 2 weeks or every month.

Perhaps the solution would be to have a preference so each user could set a a default review day and interval while allowing individual projects to override that default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grettir
Since I'm going through all of my projects as part of my weekly review already, setting up review dates and recurrence values seems like a lot of extra work with no real benefit.
This will be more useful later in the final process - the user interface is in place, but the code behind the UI hasn't been fully implemented yet.

Welcome to the bleeding edge of OmniFocus technology. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
This will be more useful later in the final process - the user interface is in place, but the code behind the UI hasn't been fully implemented yet.
That's nice to know! The current functionality is pretty good, except that grouping by next review shows the reviews in the wrong order, beginning with "Within the next month" at the top and ending with the overdue reviews (just before projects with no review date set).

Any update on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by labete View Post
Any update on this?
You're posting on a 15 month old thread. The UI for reviews works fine now and groups in the right order.

Curt

I would like to see a "mark reviewed" feature not only for projects but also for single elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseibert View Post
I would like to see a "mark reviewed" feature not only for projects but also for single elements.
Me too. Seems to me that a single task is essentially just a one line project. So I wanna be able to hold it, review it, drop-it, all the things I can do with a project.

Only today, I too wondered about the possibility of marking a single action as reviewed.

Also... you mention an update in the UI for reviewing. Is that in the sneaky peek? I gather that the official update might be soon, so I was waiting for that. It's soonish, is it?

Thanks

It would be cool to know from OmniFocus, if that type of feature (single-action-review) is planned or not.