The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Proposal for change - projects/SAL/groups/folders etc. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have some problems with the way OF is currently split up into projects/Single-Action-List(SAL)/groups/folders.
I suggest the following changes to OF:

1. Single action lists are removed from OF.

The Problem:
Single actions cannot be reviewed individually. Nor can you set a single action to on-hold or dropped. Therefore they create a lot of noise.
A lot of people also complain that they cannot have free floating single actions inside folders and have to create many SALs with few single actions (if you have many folders this becomes a headache).

The Solution:
Projects with no actions become single actions. The project title is the single action and can be assigned a context. It can be reviewed and have it's status changed and it can float inside folders. If one need to collect many such projects into a list you can put them in a folder.

2. Groups are removed from OF.

The problem:
Groups cannot be individually reviewed. Nor can they have their status changed. Therefor they cannot be treated as real projects. Larger projects naturally consists of many sub projects not just groups of actions.

The solution:
Groups are replaced with full fledged projects. So projects can contain other projects.

What do you think of these proposals everyone. Please start picking at them so we can iron out the best possible solution for everyone.

These points were debated ad nauseam what seems to be a year ago, during the open beta period. What you describe are issues that many others have pointed out, but unfortunately, no resolution was ever agreed upon.

A complete overhaul of the structure of OF seems like a lost cause at this point, but you never know!

Yes, I was in the beta but threads were long and things have crystalized a bit for me now. I thought I'd put that to good use and put forward a clear cut proposal to the overall solution.

I agree that Single-Action lists should be removed. There are many instances where I would like to move a single-action into a folder without having to create another single-action list.