The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Noob looking for iCal syncing advice Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello all:

Last I used OF, I wasn't syncing it with iCal because that was essentially a dead-end. Now that the iPhone app is out I'd like to sync.

My question is about how best to organize calendars in iCal so as work with OF. It seems like I really need to create calendars for at least my top-level contexts. Can someone share with me how they organize their iCal? I'd love to see some screenshots, if possible.

Thanks in advance!

With the iPhone app you don't need to sync to iCal. You use the Sync preference pane in the OF Desktop 1.1 sneaky peak to set up synchronizing to your iDisk on MobileMe (or another WebDAV server). The iPhone app also syncs to iDisk (or the WebDAV server).

You could still sync to iCal if you want ToDo items to show up in iCal on the desktop or in the Calendar application on MobileMe itself, but iCal sync isn't needed for iPhone support.

Curt

Last edited by curt.clifton; 2008-07-16 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: Clarification

I don't think that's what he's asking about at all. I'm in the same boat - I've got tons of iCal calendars already, and I'd love for my tasks in OF to show up there, but the calendars I've got now don't make a lick of sense contextually - they're all more project-focused. Anyone have advice on best practices in using iCal with OF?

Thanks for offering the clarification akohan. You are correct. I'd settle for a screenshot or two of the various contexts people set up and the list of corresponding calendars in ical. Of course, a little explanation of how they are used in practice would be nice too.

For now I've created a calendar called GTD to sync OF into. This leaves my other calendars intact and allows me to compartmentalize my OF stuff. Seemed a good way to start at least...