The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus for iPad interface feedback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Wow. A little late to the party here, I know, and I don't want to be too critical as I know you will have put a lot of work into this, but I have to say that interface looks pretty horrible. I'm not a UI designer by any stretch of the imagination, but first impressions would be:
  • Wasted space. Lots of it. (I understand that this might have changed now)
  • Boxing the list items in the right pane waste space and IMHO is ugly, why not make it more like the Mac or iPhone UIs?
  • The Inbox and new task icons look far too big.
  • The upward-pointing disclosure arrows are a confusing departure from the way the Mac UI works. Why not have a right-pointing arrow at the right side of items that have things to disclose and no arrow if they don't, like on the iPhone?

Like others earlier in the thread I don't really understand why it is so different to the Mac and iPhone UIs. Surely starting with the Mac UI and blending it with the iPhone one to take the touch UI and screen size into account would have been a reasonable approach, as would taking some cues from how the built-in iPad apps plus other Apple apps like Keynote etc. do things?

Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
By the way, the reason we chose to represent collapsed rows using arrows pointing upwards rather than pointing to the right is that arrows pointing to the right generally indicate "take me to a detail screen".

I think many of you will be happy to hear that current builds use some of those right-pointing arrows in the sidebar to access your project and context lists in the sidebar. Tapping on a sidebar project or context will focus on that item in the main view, much like the Mac app does. (In the build from the sneak peek video you could also focus on specific projects and contexts, but you had to get there by pressing on an item and selecting "Focus" from its pop up menu.)

I'd like to clarify my feedback regarding the arrows. I can't speak for others.

In Finder, there is list view. In list view, disclosure triangles are positioned to the left of the icon, pointing right, or into the row it is associated with. Clicking the triangle points it down, into the contents of that row/folder. This is the behavior you use in your Omni apps as well.

Ken, I understand that you want to avoid confusing users with the traditional iOS 'detail' or 'contents' arrow that points right (off the screen). However, the purpose of the triangles you're using are as disclosure triangles, and to maintain certain UI paradigms, I'd highly recommend placing them left of the project/folder icon, and acting in the same way as they do in Finder and OmniOutliner.

Upon watching the video again, I've noticed you even use the UI pattern I've described in the Perspectives list. Please consider making these icons behave consistently.

I'm a designer myself, so watching this platform grow is very exciting from a design standpoint, and I want to thank Omni for hearing its users and being so transparent. I'd be happy to discuss this further.

I'm also a bit late to commenting. My apologies as I just now saw the video.

Generally, I'd also point to the Mac version as a better example of the UI layout.

I resonate with some comments from others. I'd like to see a better use of space; there's a lot of whitespace (grey) on the video. I'd also like to see a way to see the projects/folders/groups listed on the left. I'd like to be able to drag items from the right pane to the appropriate box on the left when processing the inbox. This could also allow multiple drag/delete as in the iPad mail application.

I'm looking forward to the iPad version. Thanks for all your work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytreeoutside View Post
I'd highly recommend placing them left of the project/folder icon, and acting in the same way as they do in Finder and OmniOutliner.
Consider use cases where you're standing up and have nothing to rest your iPad on. Controls near the edge of the screen can be tapped while still holding the device with both hands, steering-wheel style.

A finder-like location works well in portrait, but not as well in landscape. You'd have to reach all the way over the sidebar, or let go with one hand.

Letting go with one hand is easily done.

Mail has almost all of its controls on the left side. I find it easy to hold in my left and tap with my right, or vice versa.

Two handed usage is likely but not the only model, and optimizing for two-handed usage would be a mistake.

Another example of an interface I like is the RSS app Reeder for iPad. It puts several main controls on the left (under your thumb), but also includes additional controls on the top right. I find it works remarkably well.

Good point Brian, and I appreciate the thought put into this. However, FWIW, controls are already (and inevitably) placed outside of 'steering wheel' reach; ie: action check boxes, the gear icon and a few other upper toolbar buttons.
I'm OK with it being on the right side if that's final, and I would keep my suggestion then that the arrow should point into the row that it's disclosing. But overall it's lovely :)

I suggest hiring a quality UI designer or consultant. OF in all of it's platforms is functional but somewhat awkward and asthetically bland and unappealing. I understand that at heart GTD is about GTDing, but it sure helps me to GTD when I love the app I'm working with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yata-Hey View Post
I suggest hiring a quality UI designer or consultant. OF in all of it's platforms is functional but somewhat awkward and asthetically bland and unappealing. I understand that at heart GTD is about GTDing, but it sure helps me to GTD when I love the app I'm working with.
I second that, itīs clear that far too many of the design decisions are done by engineers

4 second reply ....

.... Make it look like Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsbreath View Post
4 second reply ....

.... Make it look like Things

Please don't.