The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can I use Siri to add both context AND due date? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just moved from iPhone 4 to 5 yesterday so playing with Siri for the first time. Very cool. I've got the Siri and Omnifocus integration setup to the point I can add items to my inbox through my OmniFocus reminders list, or I can use location-based reminders in that list to add a context to them. But when I try to add a date to the reminder, Siri thinks I'm trying to create an event.

Is it possible to use Siri to create a new OF item that has both context and a due date assigned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmathes View Post
Is it possible to use Siri to create a new OF item that has both context and a due date assigned?
I usually say something like "remind me to call landlord about sink leak", and then Siri asks me when I'd like to be reminded. I say "tomorrow at 3pm" and when the item makes its way into OmniFocus, I find it has a due date the next day at 3pm.

As far as the context or project, I really don't think there's any way to set those via Siri/iCloud Reminders. I think you just have to do that in your OmniFocus inbox unfortunately.

Nope, you can absolutely set contexts. "Remind me to fix the sink at home". Provided "home" is a valid context and Siri's/iphone's settings have been setup to know what 'home' is (and where it is), then it works great.

I'll try the two stage thing of setting context in stage one and not giving Siri a day or time, then have Siri ask me when, specify it then and see if I now get both fields populated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmathes View Post
It's very possible! Just tell Siri to remind you of something "either when I get (place) or at (time)." For example, I might say, "Remind me to respond to the forum post when I get home or at 7 pm." You should see Siri ask you for confirmation of a reminder with two different alarms on it.

All the usual caveats apply to getting that reminder mapped to a context: the locations have to match, the location radius has to be the smallest option, etc. However, OmniFocus should respect the time you set as well as the location.

(In my brief testing, Siri did mangle the text of the reminder itself - you may be able to minimize the error by trying a slightly different phrasing, or otherwise experimenting with what you tell her.)

Ok, I think I figured this out. What I found is that if you speak a day AND a time to Siri, along with a context like 'at home', Siri will only apply the date/time attribute and will not also apply the 'at home' attribute. So when the item makes its way to Omnifocus, it never gets a context.

But if I only say a date and 'at home', then it assigns both and it ends up in OF with both a due date and a context.

Also, I discovered that if I say the context first and then the day, it will not assign the context attribute, it will just put the 'at home' into the body of the reminder text. So, the syntax has to be:

"add x on <date> at <context> to my omnifocus list". I use the omnifocus reminder list so I don't get all my reminders in my omnifocus inbox. This syntax seems to work. So if I speak:

"add change furnace filter tomorrow at home to my omnifocus list", I get a date and context. If I do it ANY other way, I do not. Can't mention time, can't change the order of attributes spoken to Siri.

But it works. Cool.

Last edited by rmathes; 2012-10-05 at 04:24 PM..