The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cloned tasks (feature request) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I know this was discussed before, but after using OmniFocus for two months now, I am even more convinced that this is a very important feature, and it would be a bummer having to wait for it until 2.0 comes along. What feature? Cloned tasks.

Say my car needs to go to the shop. I'll have a task, maybe it's a singleton task, maybe it's part of a project, but it goes: "Take the car to the shop for repairs". While the repairs are being made, I can't use the car. It's in the shop. The action "Get car from shop" will become available once the @Waiting task "Wait for car shop to call and say car is fixed" is checked off.

Meanwhile a number of other projects will have to be paused, because going somewhere in the car is a necessary step in these projects. How is pausing those other projects achieved without reverting to workarounds? By adding an alias, a clone, so to speak, of the "Get car from shop" action to them (and making them sequential). Now, as soon as I have gone to the shop to pick up the car, the next actions in any car dependent projects will show up again.

Right now, there is no way to alias or clone tasks. But just imagine being able to simply copy and paste a task from one project to another. Would be quite wonderful, don't you agree?

Last edited by HiramNetherlands; 2007-08-22 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: typo and better title