The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do you use VNC? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have several machines online that I allow others to use for testing purposes. People can access them via VNC. Do many of you use VNC?

I was considering setting up a machine so that people can test what they're seeing against:
- The current OW 5.5 sp with default prefs
- The current version of WebKit
- The version of WebKit the current sp is using

That way not everyone has to keep track of what's what. Would anyone be interested in that?

I use VNC a lot, and yes that would be very useful! Great idea.

Personally, I'd find it more useful to have OW 5.1.3 instead of 5.5. I use 5.5 as my default browser at the moment, and it would be SO useful to be able to test in 5.1.3 without quitting out. (although maybe thats more for issues with actual app, which can vary with user preferences etc)

BTW, what VNC client do you use? I use Chicken of the VNC, but would be interested to hear if you use something better.

Although it's not that much trouble to launch a new browser or three, it would be interesting to see how effective a Chicken of the VNC session would be. I use CotVNC often to help other Mac users (and an occasional Windows user).

-- Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
Although it's not that much trouble to launch a new browser or three, it would be interesting to see how effective a Chicken of the VNC session would be. I use CotVNC often to help other Mac users (and an occasional Windows user).

-- Ward
I use CotVNC as well with a few machines. For PCs I use RDC though,

Corentin

I'll have to check out CotVNC. I've been using Chicken... it's been a couple years since I looked at the clients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortig
For PCs I use RDC though,
RDC isn't good when logging into an XP machine for debugging or testing. Among other issues, it logs the user out. It does come in handy and I use it almost exclusively for servers, however.

For my PC testing, I have VPC setup on a PC and allow VNC access to each VM. Then if something goes haywire, I just restart the VM without saving changes.

I'll have to see what I can figure out for a Mac solution with the same effect. I'd rather not devote an entire machine to this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
I'll have to check out CotVNC. I've been using Chicken...
:) CotVNC stands for Chicken of the VNC.

Corentin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortig
:) CotVNC stands for Chicken of the VNC.

Corentin
doh! thought there was something new/better out. I tried them "all" a couple years ago. It worked the best and I haven't bothered to find something else in the market.