The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Disk option for syncing Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Oh pretty pretty please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
We've updated our description to refer to synchronizing via "a WebDAV-enabled web server" to make this more clear for a wider audience. (A WebDAV-enabled web server is built into every Mac, though unfortunately it's not trivial to configure.)

We're also thinking about how to do synchronization with a local Mac without requiring a web server.

This is exactly what I guessed Apple had in mind when locking developers out of hard sync.

I for one refuse to play.

Apple is becoming more Micro$oft like every day...sigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanda View Post
So in the end I signed up for MobileMe yesterday and it works brilliantly.

I was up and running in minutes and my OmniFocus tasks are now in sync across my two Macs and iphone.

Thanks for discussion here.

Leanda

I know there are those asking Apple to open the iphone regarding carriers, but perhaps a petition to open up Hardware Sync so people aren't forced into buying .me etc.

I'm a bit busy learning how to use Terminal and edit text files right now :confused: but perhaps someone else might get us started?

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/

By any chance can an Automator script be written that will enable and set up web dav for iOF?

Thanks!

I still have had trouble accessing Manas Tungare's blog page, but managed to view it via the Google cache. Here are the instructions from the blog in case others can't access it:

Setting up WebDAV on Leopard

The good news is that all the bits and pieces of software that you need to run a WebDAV server on Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard are already installed. You only need to configure them correctly and turn them on. Some experience with Terminal is preferred, and you should be familiar with executing UNIX commands. Let’s start!

1. Start Apache. (If you haven’t already) You will need to enable Web Sharing, since the WebDAV service will be provided by Apache, the web server on Mac OS X. You do not necessarily need to have a web site running, but you will need to activate and run Apache. Go to System Preferences > Sharing, and turn on the box labeled Web Sharing.

2. Enable WebDAV support in Apache. Edit the file /etc/apache2/httpd.conf, (remember to use sudo to edit it) and locate this line:

LoadModule dav_module libexec/apache2/mod_dav.so

Make sure it is not commented (there should be no "#" at the beginning of the line.) Then locate this line (towards the bottom of the file):

Include /private/etc/apache2/extra/httpd-dav.conf

Again, make sure it is not commented out. It is disabled by default, so you need to remove the "#" from this line.

3. Configure WebDAV. Next, edit the file /etc/apache2/extra/httpd-dav.conf. Add a section in it to create our new WebDAV share. Here’s what the new section should look like. As a security precaution, you should also go ahead and delete the /usr/uploads share that is set by default.

Alias /webdav "/Library/WebServer/WebDAV"

<Directory "/Library/WebServer/WebDAV">
Dav On

Order Allow,Deny
Allow from all

AuthType Basic
AuthName WebDAV-Realm
AuthUserFile "/usr/webdav.passwd"

<LimitExcept GET OPTIONS>
require user YourUserName
</LimitExcept>
</Directory>

On line 1, the name following the Alias keyword is the URL you’d like for your new WebDAV share. If you want the share to be located at http://your-server-name/your-fancy-webdav-share, then line 1 should read:

Alias /your-fancy-webdav-share "/Library/WebServer/WebDAV"

On line 9, we specify the authentication scheme as Basic, not Digest. The security conscious will note that this sends unencrypted passwords over plain text. In my tests, OmniFocus was not able to communicate with the server with the Digest authentication scheme. Remember not to use a particularly important password for this account.

On line 14, substitute the username you would like to use for your WebDAV account. Note this down, because you will need this again in the next step.

4. Create user accounts and passwords. Use the htpasswd tool to create your password file.

sudo htpasswd -c /usr/webdav.passwd "YourUserName"
New password:
Re-type new password:
Adding password for user YourUserName

5. Create the necessary directories.

sudo mkdir -p /Library/WebServer/WebDAV
sudo mkdir -p /usr/var

6. Setup permissions correctly.

sudo chown -R www:www /Library/WebServer/WebDAV
sudo chown -R www:www /usr/var
sudo chgrp www /usr/webdav.passwd

7. Restart Apache gracefully.

sudo apachectl graceful

8. Test your server. Optionally, you can test your WebDAV configuration using litmus, a WebDAV server test tool. It is distributed as source code with no binaries, so you will need to compile it first, for which you will need Apple’s Developer Tools. You can test your server manually by using a graphical client such as Goliath. Try uploading a file and see if you can access it again.

That’s it, you can now point OmniFocus to http://your-server-name/webdav and provide the credentials you created earlier. With this setup, you will immediately be able to access your WebDAV server over your local network. If your machine has a static public IP address, you will also be able to sync from outside your local network.

If, on the other hand, your machine is behind a router, you will need to configure port forwarding on your router. If you do not have a static IP, you will need to set a dynamic hostname via services like DynDNS.

Omnifocus Sync Settings

OmniFocus WebDAV Authentication
Possible Error Messages

This is by no means a zero error configuration, and sometimes things might go wrong. Here are some of the common error messages and how to fix the relevant errors:

* The locks could not be queried for verification against a possible "If:" header.

No such file or directory: Could not open property database
The web server is not able to access the password file. In our example, you need to ensure that /usr/webdav.passwd can be read by the Apache user, www. To do that, run the following chmod command.

sudo chgrp www /usr/webdav.passwd

* Client used wrong authentication scheme: /webdav/

You probably set the Authentication scheme to Digest instead of Basic. Try changing to Basic. Also note that you need to regenerate the password file using htpasswd instead of htdigest.

I know this won't be a popular answer, but the fact of the matter is, no one is "forced" to purchase MobileMe, or any other system to run iOF. You have the choice of just not syncing.

Now, to put that in perspective, since iOF does ALMOST everything regular OF does, your choice would be to abandon the desktop and just use iOF for your ubiquitous task capture and task management.

Or you could type it in twice, once in the desktop, and once in the iPhone.

My point is, syncing your data is not required to use either product, it's a convenience. And sorry to inform everyone, but in a capitalistic world, those who provide service which make life more convenient are going to charge you for the service and make their money on it.

Arguing that Apple is "forcing" people to purchase MobileMe for syncing would be no different than arguing that Apple is forcing people to purchase an iPhone to use iOF.

There's no gun to your head, and you won't die or stop eating if you don't sync your data. If you want the convenience, you pay for it. If you don't want to pay for it, you don't get the convenience.

Pretty simple stuff if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
It is quite possible to approximate this already, it will require enabling the WebDAV server on the desktop machine that you have OmniFocus 1.1 (for Mac) installed.

The downside of this is that if the desktop is sleeping or off, when you're away you'll get error notifications that the server isn't available, that sort of thing.
The real downside is that since HTTPS doesn't work, I'll have an open web server on my mac when on a public network, subject to sniffing, which is totally unacceptable.

I refuse to pay $100/year for a .mac account just to sync OF (the rest is a total waste as I already have a website hosted on a real provider - that blocks WebDAV because of security issues). Other third-party WebDAV providers seem to have a ton of compatibility issues with OF, and/or don't offer secure connections.

Maybe Omnigroup should host a secure WEBDAV server on your domain that we can subscribe to ($10/year) just for OmniFocus syncing.

Good morning,

I am running both OF and iOF against an Apache server configured for DAV support on port 443.

My own server.
Secure connection.
Everything syncs.

Took awhile, but here we are and I'm happy.

-David

On your own Mac? How'd you get around the certificate issues?

Good afternoon,

I'm running a WebDAV server on a Linux box running Apache at our office. I used the blog posting found in one of the stickies above to set it up, with a few modifications. We're using a self signed cert and the most recent release of iOF enabled support for these.

The initial sync had some UI problems, but if I ignored those, went into settings, ACK'd the settings as correct and then hit sync, it sync'd.

-David