The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Who uses Omnifocus for iPad as ONLY task/mgr? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I use all three products at the moment, but I could very easily see only using my iPad and iPhone if there was some strange problem with all of the macs in my house.

The interface on the iPad version is drop dead gorgeous, and incredibly functional. I'm really to the point where I like using it for the "doing" part of my to-do list over everything else. I also love having a visual indicator that I've got stuff in my inbox--I would kill to have a freaking toolbar badge on the inbox on the desktop version, but I instead have to go into projects mode, or keep a small inbox-only window open.

That said, clipping and quick entry from any app are incredible features that I couldn't live without on a real computer, so even if I mostly use the desktop OF for that and act on things later on a different device, I'm a happy camper.

As for the iPhone? It's with me everywhere, no matter what. Get an idea I want to tease out later? Remind myself of something? Into OF it goes.

Long story short? I don't think you'd be all that unhappy relying on just the iPad and iPhone versions.

For those of you using only iPad + iTouch (my setup as well), how do you guys handle processing e-mails?

I've not gotten to a system that I really am comfortable with yet, but at least at present, I have folders in Outlook set up as @actioning, @waiting and @Project Info. I will move emails that I need to take action on into the @actioning folder, etc.

Then I will manually enter an action into the inbox on OF on my iPad. It isn't perfect, but so far it works. I have a step in my weekly review to review the emails that I've assigned to the folders and then process them into the appropriate projects on the iPad.

I have OF for iPad and iPhone, and really really miss having a Web or Windows version, due to the lack of keyboard functionality and spending most of my time on a Windows box at work. (No Macs in sight.) I've sent a feature request about that.

Still, I think OF for iPad can serve as your only task/GTD manager -- IF you carry your iPad with you most of the time. If not, you're going to need something you DO carry with you at all times. It can be your phone, or you can carry a small notebook (a la David Allen), or even index cards.

The point is, for your system to be effective it has to be always accessible. You'll have to decide the best way to make that happen.

Bruce in Louisville

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWriter View Post

The point is, for your system to be effective it has to be always accessible. You'll have to decide the best way to make that happen.
I did break down and buy the iphone version exactly for that reason. I think it's a pretty good version. Definitely with me more than my ipad.

Here's an article that provides some thoughts

http://brooksreview.net/2010/09/omnifocus/

I have all three versions. I use the ipad version mostly for reviewing, while the desktop version for creating projects and adding tasks. Somehow, I prefer the desktop app the most.

The ipad app has a few quirks that i don't like -
1. The left pane shows no icon for 'project' vs. 'Single task list' differentiation. They all are listed as just text. There are no quick visual cues like that in the desktop app or even the iphone app.

2. The desktop app has an option to display 'next available item' in a different color while the ipad app does not.

Unfortunately for me, I have no option but to use a company assigned windows laptop at work. That's where the iphone app comes in handy (I don't carry the ipad to work). When I need to work on my task list, i log in remotely to my home mac just to use the OF desktop app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinwhite View Post
1. The left pane shows no icon for 'project' vs. 'Single task list' differentiation. They all are listed as just text. There are no quick visual cues like that in the desktop app or even the iphone app.
Out of curiosity, how would this distinction be helpful to you? What are you going to do differently if you see that a given project is a single action list when you are looking at your list of projects in the sidebar?

I have OF for both my Mac , iPod touch and iPad. The only one I actually use is the iPad version.

It is the best iPad app out there , in my opinion.

I would love to use my iPad as my only Omnifocus app but I need my tasks on the go. I wish Omni created better UI's and follow's Apple's formula where you can still do many things in an elegant you UI (Like Things and Hitlist) because the Omnifocus Mac app gives me a headache (like my old blackberry pearl) every time I look at it. I'm not a hardcore GTD'er by any means and I prefer things just simple and straightforward without too much configuration. I'm aware that Omnifocus 2 will eventually come, and I do think their iPhone app could be a lot better. It works (and doesn't give me a headache) but to me it feels a bit bland and boring. As for the iPad app, no complaints there. They really took advantage of the extra screen estate and it looks and feels fantastic, almost like as if the iPad alone was built for this App :)