The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Changing style of child row Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm wondering how I can change the style for all the children of a certain row. Let's say the row is called "Row1". I want to change all the children of "Row1" and make them bold, but don't want to change the global "All level x" row settings. If I select all the children of "Row1" and make them bold, it actually adds the bold tag to each Row, not the "children of row1" style. The problem with this is, the next time I add another child row to "Row1", it won't be bold.

This can in fact be tricky:

- if you have many children to "Row1" and toggle each one individually, you should obtain what you want after having toggled the last child, but only at that point.

- if you have selected all children to "Row1" and all content is "fresh" (you are just beginning to apply styles), it appears that toggling bold will produce a "Level 2" styling EXCEPT if there are other level 2 entries, in which case you would obtain what you want.

There is just enough guessing involved in the style management to sometimes be irritating and make it appear more complex than needed. Most of the time however, it does work quite well.

If you need precise instructions to produce the type of behaviour I have described to help you understand it, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Renaud
- if you have many children to "Row1" and toggle each one individually, you should obtain what you want after having toggled the last child, but only at that point.

- if you have selected all children to "Row1" and all content is "fresh" (you are just beginning to apply styles), it appears that toggling bold will produce a "Level 2" styling EXCEPT if there are other level 2 entries, in which case you would obtain what you want.

This behavior would be due to the Automatic Level Styles feature under the Format menu. What it's doing is looking for instances where all such items share the same style and then promotes it. So, if you have two children rows and you make both bold, then all child rows of that branch have the bold characteristic and it's promoted to the 'child of row x' level.

The way to apply styles directly to the child of row x level is to use the styles view. When you turn on the style view you will see chits appear for each row. Hover the mouse over them to see what they correspond to. The left most chit will be for that row, as you move to the right, the chits will correspond to the child of the given row, the grand child of the given row and so on. Select the correct chit and apply the style characteristics you want.