The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Web Interface Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm not a super tech guy. Will someone mind giving me specific instructions on setting up my MacBook Pro, OS 10.4.10, to share my omni stuff? I can log on using safari on the macbook, but I want to access it from Iphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohailm01
Any ideas?
You could...
  1. Leave security up to the user, and assume they know how to configure a home VPN. Probably not the best option, but it's an option.
  2. Let users obtain their own certificates. I have zero experience with this, but it would almost certainly be expensive/complicated.
  3. Centralize authentication via SSL on Omni Group's servers. More complicated, and this requires Omni to maintain a web service. Also, doesn't solve encryption throughout, just protects the user name/password.
  4. Route all traffic through Omni via SSL. Probably the cleanest and most secure solution, but places a (potentially) large bandwidth burden on omnigroup.com. Configuration could be plug-and-play, though, no messing around with port forwarding and dyndns. I'd be willing to pay a monthly fee for a service like this.

For the curious/impatient, SSL can be turned off by right-clicking the OmniFocus app, choosing "Show package contents," and editing contents/resources/rails/config/environment.rb. Comment out the whole "if ENV['USE_SSL']" block, lines 90-110. There's not much point, however, since the rest of the app doesn't work on the iPhone at this time. I'm sure Omni is working on it, now that they have a device on which to test the app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schop@pinelake.org
I'm not a super tech guy. Will someone mind giving me specific instructions on setting up my MacBook Pro, OS 10.4.10, to share my omni stuff? I can log on using safari on the macbook, but I want to access it from Iphone.
It doesn't work yet. Just sit tight, I'm sure a solution is forthcoming.

I have the same issue with the iPhone. I'm just testing on my local network right now. No firewall, NAT, etc. Just hitting my local machine direct from my wi-fi network.

gio

Okay, so I disabled the SSL part, since Safari on iPhone clearly has issues with self-signed certs. It now works, but there's an issue; you can't scroll! If there are more items than the page allows, you can see the text running off the page, but you can't scroll. You also can't see items added via web interface in the actual document. ??? Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry
Well, using Safari is rather interesting. Once I go through the certificate warning, the Context page loads, but I can't do anything. Can't get to the Inbox or see the actions. Clicking on any link does absolutely nothing.
In all liklihood you are using Safari 2.x. Safari 3 beta works much better. Opera and Omniweb both seem to have no problem. Who knows what bit of ajax/css/dhtml goodness isn't functioning in 2.x.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaverfugue
In all liklihood you are using Safari 2.x. Safari 3 beta works much better... Who knows what bit of ajax/css/dhtml goodness isn't functioning in 2.x.
No biggie, I seldom ever use Safari. If the need arises, I'll download Safari 3.

I know that this might seem an odd workaround, but it would be cool to have a dashboard widget that pulls data from the localized version of the web interface.

I find the posts of "Well, if you use Safari 3 (or Opera or OmniWeb), your problems will disappear" to be amusing, and unfortunately fundamentally unhelpful.

iPhone uses Safari 2's engine to render pages, not Safari 3's. Judging by the interface, the discussion, the release date, and the intuitiveness of the situation, I wager that the point of the web interface is to get it working on iPhone. For that, the system must play nice with Safari 2, period.

Perhaps disable the certificate aspect until the content can be verified as working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgoofy
iPhone uses Safari 2's engine to render pages, not Safari 3's.
From the horse's mouth: "The first step in developing a web application for iPhone is to ensure it is fully compatible with Safari. Safari 3 Public Beta, now available for Mac and Windows, provides you with the ideal environment for Safari on iPhone compatibility testing."

The web interface continues to be completely broken on the iPhone. Disabling the certificate allows the page to be loaded, but the attempts to keep the context/inbox bar pegged to the bottom of the screen and yet still allow scrolling have failed.

Ultimately, if you're going to get clever with CSS and DHTML transitions, you need to test the app out on an actual phone. The tone of the related Message of the Day entries implies that Omni thinks the app is working, which means either they don't yet have an iPhone on which to test their app, or I'm doing something wrong.