The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tab Folders/Stacks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It would be great to have the ability to create stacks or folders in the tab sidebar.

In my opinion a really useful feature when you have different "topics" and don't want to use workspaces.

Yes indeed! Collapsible hierarchical tabs, please!

If we use the outline model, that helps us group and classify our tabs while browsing.

Yeah :) It would be great if you can just drag a tab on another and the will make a list wich you can open or close...

Another interesting option might be the ability to define collapsable groups by domain, i.e. if I have multiple apple.com pages option, they could appear as a hierarchical group.

...but this would run counter to the tab showing the user's navigation history, but this is already undermined by the user's ability to manually arrange tabs.

The idea sounds great, wonder if this will make it into OmniWeb.

Greetings

I can't see how this might be implemented without making the UI complex and messy. Anyone care to share a mockup or description of how they'd want to see it presented?

I usually use new windows for 'topics' and tabs for pages on those topics (eg right now I have a window full of tabs browsing the Omni forums for Spaces support in OW, and another window full of tabs about the new iPhone SDK). I also have a 'higher level' arrangement (types of topics?) which I arrange using Spaces; all my general interest windows in one space, all my shopping / finance windows in another, all my software development windows in another.

And then, of course, there's workspaces (I used to use these for my 'higher-level' organisation, now replaced by Spaces).

So I'm struggling to see what this feature would add to OW that isn't already covered by tabs, windows, workspaces and Spaces. Anyone care to give me an example of how they might use it if it were implemented?

I find more than one window confusing. Within my one window/workspace dedicated to translation, I have tabs belonging to different projects. Even if I had a separate window/workspace for each project (and I work on them concurrently), within each project there are different aspects. For example:

Let's say I am working on the OpenOffice.org project alone, even though I always work on several projects concurrently. Within the OpenOffice.org project, I have opened status pages, wiki pages, website pages, sub-project pages, issue-reporting pages etc. The information on one of my wiki pages requires further information on several other wiki-pages related to it, which I then open. It would be much easier for me if I could open those additional tabs below the current wiki page tab, instead of having to move down to the bottom of the tab list to read them OR drag them up the tab list to the appropriate position.

I am constantly following links to additional information, which is often only necessary temporarily. It's not useful to set these tabs up in separate workspaces. It _is_ useful to be able to open them next to the originating tab, so I can switch between them quickly, and don't get them confused with other tabs.

For example, within one individual Issue Tracker, I can be following up several separate issues at any one time. Each separate issue will have related issues, webpages, wiki pages and mailing list archive items, which I need to keep open next to the main issue tab, and not confuse with other issue tabs, while I am dealing with the issue.

For both these sample situations, the ability to open a related tab directly below the current tab, and the ability to collapse groups of related tabs, would be very useful indeed.

You could do a lot of this with Workspaces, with a little planning.

I believe a collapsible related-tabs feature would work better for me. As I said, I have difficulty working with more than one window, and in any case, I am continually opening and closing new tabs related to my current tabs. I work on more than 20 different projects, between which I constantly switch. I need flexibility more than a lot of different workspaces.

This is just a fast mockup...