The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

omnifocus perspectives view into a text file Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
i would like to print the tasks visible in an OF perspective into a text file.

why text file -- because i would like to print the available tasks in omnifocus in a compact manner and the native OF print option is miserable. Actually unbelievably inadequate for such a good application.

i tried to edit the omnifocus to pagepacker. http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5324
however, given that i am not a programmer and not an applescript person either, i couldn't progress far at all.

any body else felt the need for this? any applescript expert or OF team interested in building this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msim View Post
i would like to print the tasks visible in an OF perspective into a text file.
May be worth looking at this thread for an Applescript which outputs a text form (Taskpaper format) of whatever is currently selected in the right-hand content panel of Omnifocus.

thanks. i looked it up. it is kind of there, but i guess i will just wait for OF team to build some paper friendly capabilities...

I continue to be surprised that you can export to the proprietary taskpaper, but not plain text!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I continue to be surprised that you can export to the proprietary taskpaper, but not plain text!
Not sure if I have understood your point, but Taskpaper format is plain text ...

Hi Rob,

Yes it is plain text, but "text edit" doesn't seem to be the default application. On my computer, the files that I export as "plain text" open up in TaskPaper— an application which I don't own. I think this is because I downloaded the demo. On my wife's computer, you have to "choose an application" to get it to work. I know you can "get info" and change the default application to textedit, but it seems like taskpaper users should have to do this instead of the average person who doesn't understand the message, "no found application. . . "

Simplest solution might be to manually edit the file extension from .taskpaper to .txt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
Not sure if I have understood your point, but Taskpaper format is plain text ...
the TaskPaper format was chosen as it really is very simple, and still retains some of the structure of your focus document.

However, we should probably just call it ".txt" as TaskPaper itself won't really care.