The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus for iPhone and Outlook Windows Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Sorry for any confusion in this thread - we collectively browse the forums as we're able, but we can't guarantee that we'll be able to respond in every thread.

We certainly aren't holding back on Outlook/Entourage/Exchange support out of spite; we may have other tools that we prefer to use, but our primary goal is to make customers happy by any means necessary. :-)

Taking a look at the development database, we have feature requests open on better support for Outlook/Entourage/Exchange, but there are other requests in there that have more votes attached to them. In general, requests with more votes get attacked first.

If folks want to help this change get bumped up in the request list, sending email to the support ninjas would be most helpful. Appreciate the help!

Last edited by Brian; 2010-01-26 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: inject more humor into 2nd paragraph

Thanks Brian -- sounds like we should try to rally some votes to get an Outlook or Toodledo sync feature bumped up in priority!

I am not going to pretend to know much about OMNIfocus or XML, but what I do know is that mobileme syncing of projects in the iphone app results in a series of XML files corresponding to the projects in your iPhone app.

At the end of the day, XML is XML, right?

theoretically, I know it wouldn't be the most glamorous method, but how hard would it be for a savvy windows programmer to reverse engineer an OMNIfocus XML file and write a program that could read and write based upon the defined fields? of that XML file? You could then use a web-dav file transfer client or build one into the application to the program.

Until this happens or something else changes (like I get rid of this crappy dell and finally get a real computer...a mac) I'll continue to use the app-less nirvanahq.com which right now is the closest thing to meeting my needs.
http://lifehacker.com gave out the beta-tester code: LIFEHACK, if you are interested in trying it.

I would love it if the two were able to work together, they together cover a lot of the same ground but still have critical differences and neither alone at this moment meets my objectively simple GTD needs (simple GTD use i.e. contexts, tags et al. with an ability to be accessible to me everywhere by either cache or sever connectivity.

I am not looking to scam Omni out of any money, but I too agree with the windows camp looking for OF options other than my phone.

I have been reviewing this thread for a while
Frankly the inability to sync with Outlook is the only reason that I have not purchased for my Iphone and Ipad. I have the same dilemma as others, at work a PC and Outlook are the standard. I continue to look for a solution for getting things done and keep coming back here and then leave without purchasing realizing the circle of data is not complete without an Outlook sync option. I may end up getting a lesser solution in regard to functionality since there is not even a hint of a date, but a hint that the gap is noticed...

I am responsible for the productivity of our company's 30 associates. 75% of the firm uses iOS in some form and they are always asking me about task management tools. We are (for better and worse) very Outlook and Microsoft CRM-centered. Would definitely be recommending OF as an option if it would sync to Outlook tasks like Todo for iPhone and Todo for iPad does. Will send an email to the "ninjas" per the previous request.

The lack of Outlook sync is the only thing holding me back. I'm not about to invest money and time into a product that locks my information into a proprietary format that can't be transferred. I can't imagine how many others are in the same boat.

Last edited by Gareth321; 2010-12-20 at 02:25 AM..

Lest anyone get the wrong impression, all of our applications were specifically designed to preserve your ability to access your data. They store their data in a format called XML.

XML's an open standard. We don't own it and never could. It's also a format that's designed to make data accessible and human-readable whenever possible. It's about as un-proprietary as you can get. An XML file is just plain text; all the OmniFocus-specific stuff is just sequences of extra characters wrapped around your content that tells OmniFocus how to process it.

OmniFocus' use of XML is one of the reasons why a service like Spootnik can exist. The author of that service didn't get any special help from us; presumably, he looked at his OmniFocus database, figured out how it worked, and then hooked that up to Basecamp.

By contrast, until very recently Microsoft was notorious for having all their apps use file formats that weren't documented or accessible to third parties. They started changing that, but only after getting hit over the head with several anti-trust lawsuits...

That said, Gareth, I totally hear and understand the underlying concern/desire. Outlook is pretty ubiquitous among some circles; that's a good reason to want OmniFocus to talk to it. Ubiquity doesn't make it any less proprietary, though. :-)

I agree with Brian. Microsoft uses /binary/ files for Outlook, Word, etc. That's about as proprietary as you can get. OmniFocus' data is all XML. You can browse it with a text editor if you like. Totally open and transparent.

I like the Omnifocus ipad app. It is very expensive but i like it.

Nevertheless ootb interoperability and a OS/device independent way to manage my items is missing. (not speaking of outlook yet).

This and exactly this (in combination with the high price of the app which causes that I really have very high expectations towards omigroup) will most certainly result in the fact that i will migrate away from omnifocus to a more interopaerable, open (web and OS/device independent solution).

I think technically the basis is there to provide a service like toddledo and not just apps that backup on a remote server. But then it's really the decision of providing a service vs apps with backup 'only'.

Hi all I have been thinking of ways to export my tasks from outlook and I can do this relatively easily. I can even export ids and as a validated XML file. I'm now at the stage where I import them into OF and this is where I'm stuck. I cant seem to find an option to import the XML file plus if I try as text it may end up creating duplicates. Anyone want to help me out or has a script I can butcher?

Thanks

a1ehouse