The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Moving from Things Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have been enjoying moving from Things to OF. There is obviously a vast difference in the power and flexibility. I fear though that although I feel fairly comfortable with the way I am setting up my OF workflow, that I may very well be over complicating. Being a long time user of Things, I have gotten used to the idea of having Next, Someday, Scheduled categories. In OF I have created these exact areas as projects in single action mode and placed the Someday project on hold. This seems to be a fairly efficient setup that makes sense to me and my workflow, but I definitely don't want to use OF in a manner that is less efficient than it could be. Could someone please help me with some insight as to how I might utilize OF in a better way?

Cheers,
Frank

OK. I think I have come up with maybe a better way to escape the ingrained confines that I brought from things. I have posted a screenshot of my setup below. Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Welcome aboard! That setup looks pretty good to start with, but one idea to consider would be creating a "Someday/Maybe" context, rather than the matched pair of Projects you currently have.

One advantage of using a context to represent "Someday/Maybe" would be that you could put actions from any of your projects onto that list, without needing to move it to a different project.

For example - if there was some action in the "WIN Printer" project that you weren't sure you actually wanted to do, you could leave it in that project but still assign it the "Maybe" status.

Does that make sense?

In case it helps, I put together two screenshots that illustrate the approach I was describing in my last post.

The first screenshot shows a project where one action has been assigned to an On-Hold "Someday/Maybe" context.

The second shows those same three actions as they would appear in context view. Note that if you had a second project that had some actions assigned to the Someday/Maybe context, they would also show up in the Someday/Maybe section of this screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Project View.png
Views:	944
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Context View.png
Views:	895
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1371  

Thank you very much for the advice Brian! Definitely a better way to approach the situation.