The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Problems Maintaining a Focus When Moving from Context to Planning Mode Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Hello,

Newbie here wanting to work out where my thinking is correct and where its screwed.

Firstly a question. Is it true that the Focus feature is designed to narrow down on specific projects, whether it is used in Planning Mode or Context Mode?

Again to make sure I am understanding correctly, is it true to say that in Planning mode you have no way to Focus on particular contexts (only Projects), whereas in Context mode you do have a way to focus on either projects or contexts or both at once - you can choose Contexts in the sidebar and to choose certain Projects in Context Mode you can highlight actions that belong to certain projects and then use the Focus feature to limit to the projects associated with those actions. Correct? If I am right with what I have said, can someone explain why Planning mode doesn't allow you to choose actions that have particular contexts just as (in reverse) Context mode allows you to choose actions for particular Projects?

Having said that, I have a further problem in that I cannot successfully reproduce the method outlined in the Omnifocus Forum Frequently Asked Questions in the thread "I Really Want a Context Based Project Viewer/Selector". (Would have given a URL for the thread but not allowed to as part of a first post, sorry). If I understand correctly this method will allow the user to view particular projects with only certain contexts sorted by context.

The steps provided in the thread are:
* Go to context mode, select the contexts of your choice
* Change the view bar to sort by projects
* Select the projects of your choice
* Focus
* Switch to projects mode.

When I do the final step, to change to Planning Mode, despite have created a focus in Context mode the actions I see are not limited to those projects I included in the Focus.

In doing the final step, I am changing modes by pressing Command 1 rather than choosing buttons so I don't think I am falling into error in that area. I have also rebuilt my database without any change in the results.

In the steps above does the step "Select the Projects of your choice" mean "highlight actions which are associated with projects you wish to focus on" because that is what I did? I made the entire actions blue by command clicking on them on the far left.

Any help with all of the above questions appreciated.