The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Inbox Items go straight to Misc box.. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I think I understand now..So these Single Action Lists are where items without any project can be filed to. Like small errands that don't fit into a project.

So I changed my preferences as so: http://cl.ly/3Y3H3x3M0P2o0d0g0W04

This now allows me to store all the random actions with no project into this area correct? Instead of the Misc folder?

I noticed that items I have completed in my inbox with a context but no project get filed under the Single Action List. When I undo completion of the action, it goes to the Single Action List rather than back into the Inbox. Is this how it should be? How would I get it back to the Inbox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohla313 View Post
So this default list is the "Misc" folder or the random lettered one? Every time I complete a single action task it goes into the Misc Single Actions.

How do I stop this Misc Single Actions box from showing up every time I complete a task??
You had your settings set so that completing an action in the Inbox would clean it up. Completing an action in the Inbox which does not have a project assigned causes it to be assigned to the Default List for Single Actions, regardless of the other clean up settings. To avoid having Inbox actions filed there when you complete them, assign a project (or a different single action list) to the action before completing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohla313 View Post
I think I understand now..So these Single Action Lists are where items without any project can be filed to. Like small errands that don't fit into a project.
Yes, that is the general notion behind the SAL. It is a container of tasks which do not belong to a specific project, and are largely independent of each other. It behaves much like a parallel project, except that by default the actions are styled differently, and all available actions are treated as next actions, unlike in a parallel project, where only the first available action is treated as a next action.

Some people like to use the SAL list for so-called areas of responsibility, or for collections of tasks which are related, but do not have an planned outcome, unlike a project. For example, one might have a SAL that contains books one wishes to read, or tasks involved in maintaining the lawn. Presumably even if one reads everything on the list (unlikely for anyone with a decent amount of curiosity, I think), eventually more books will be noticed, and the grass will probably need attention next week no matter how much you do this week. Contrast that with a project to write a research paper or take a class, where there is a definite stopping point. You can change a project to a SAL and vice versa with the inspector if your needs change.
Quote:
So I changed my preferences as so: http://cl.ly/3Y3H3x3M0P2o0d0g0W04

This now allows me to store all the random actions with no project into this area correct? Instead of the Misc folder?
You can't store actions in a folder, only in a project or SAL. Folders contain other folders, projects, and SALs.

Somewhat confusingly, you've created a SAL named Single-Action List, which strikes me as being about as advisable as having a project named Project—the default name suggested by OmniFocus in the beginning (Miscellaneous) is probably a better choice. In any case, yes, these settings tell OmniFocus to file actions without a project which are being cleaned up in that SAL. With the "require both project and context" setting, any actions where you manage to clear the project assignment should end up back in the Inbox, and only actions you explicitly assign to that SAL will go there. If you use the "require a project or a context" or "require a context" settings for cleaning up Inbox actions, you'll potentially see quite a few items automatically filed there. In my experience, it is easy for a Miscellaneous container to fill up with tasks that never get done, so I prefer to assign them to the proper project, where I'll at least be forced to review them more carefully while not getting them done :-)
Quote:
I noticed that items I have completed in my inbox with a context but no project get filed under the Single Action List. When I undo completion of the action, it goes to the Single Action List rather than back into the Inbox. Is this how it should be? How would I get it back to the Inbox?
When you marked it complete in the Inbox without having assigned a project, OmniFocus probably first assigned it to that catch-all SAL, then marked it complete, so when you did the Undo operation, it undid the last step, which was marking it complete, leaving the assignment of the project step still there. There's probably some room for debate about whether both steps should be undone, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to be changed, even if you win the argument.

To get something back to the Inbox, select the action(s), bring up the Inspector with cmd-shift-I or the toolbar button, and set the project field back to Inbox. If you are in a context mode view and are showing the project column, you can also do it by clearing the value in the project column. Do a clean-up and those actions should be back in the Inbox, unless your clean-up settings allow them to go back to the catch-all list. Clearing both project and context should send it back to the Inbox in all cases, I believe.