The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Setting daily hours on specific tasks? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've only had Omniplan for 12hrs, so I'm probably missing something, but I've watched the screencasts and skim read through the whole manual before asking here...

Q. Is there a way to set hours per day on a specific task? I mean to keep a worker's hours their standard day length, but have them spend half their day on one task, and half their day on another? Or is this where effort and percentages and all that comes in???

I was hoping that in the same way you could control a worker resource's weekly hours, you could control their specific task hours per day, coz some tasks you just can't do well for a whole day.

Hmmm, no answer.
Is that because the question is so ridiculously simple, I've missed the whole point of how OmniPlan works?

I distinctly remember preparing a response to your original post, complete with examples! Maybe I never posted it...

Yes, this is where the X% of Y% stuff comes into play. Open up the Task Assignments inspector for the tasks you want to have worked on at less than full effort, and adjust the first number down, as appropriate. In my example below, I use 50% of 100% which means that 1h of work will occupy 2h on the timeline, and that 100% of the hours in the resource's daily schedule will be available.

A few things to note:

the percentages shouldn't be multiplied together, as they don't work that way. The second number is the percentage of the hours in the day that can be allocated, and the first number is also a percentage of the hours in the day. 100% of 100% means all the assignable hours for that day, working exclusively on one thing. 50% of 100% as the setting for two independent tasks will cause the entire day to be spent working on those two tasks, effectively 30 minutes per hour on each one. A task that takes 4 hours of effort will have a duration of 8 hours on the timeline. 75% of 75% means only 6 hours out of the standard 8 hour day are being assigned, and they are all being used for that one task. To split that 75% equally over 3 tasks, they would each get 25% of 75% assigned.

If you have a fractional effort assigned, but there's only one task scheduled, the timeline will show that resource "loafing" along at only partial utilization, and it won't assign part of a full-intensity task to occupy the available effort. You can see this in my example for Task 2 after Task 1 completes.

Hopefully, this hasn't confused the situation more than it already was :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Hopefully, this hasn't confused the situation more than it already was :-)
No, I think I've got it now. Thanks!