The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

puchased the iphone app..do I have to buy... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
additional software for my mac desktop. I have the 1.1 version that allows me to sync with my iPhone, but it is telling me I only have 13 days left and I need to purchase it for my desktop? Am I correct in assuming this or is there another version that allows me to have a desktop version? I didn't really expect to pay $20 for an iPhone app and then throw down another $60-$70 for a desktop version that allows syncing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OmniFocus for the iPhone is intended to function as a standalone app which can also sync with OmniFocus for the Mac.

There are a few smaller features we'd still like to bring over from the Mac app to the iPhone app to complete the experience, but the core features are all there. You can 'get things done' with only the iPhone version of OmniFocus.

If you also want to view and edit your OmniFocus data on your Mac after the two-week demo period, then yes, you will need to purchase it.

Of course, you can use the WebDAV sync on the iPhone version just for backup, the desktop is optional (and even though I do have both, I'm tending to end up only using the phone).

I am reluctant to even purchase the iPhone App because I know that I would eventually have to have the Mac desktop version. So I think that I will wait....
Until I actually need something like this.

If Omni were to offer the iPhone users a discount of say $20 to purchase the desktop version - that would be a great marketing move. All that exposure on the iTunes Apps store could be channeled in a positive way, toward the OMNI products store. As it is - finding out that you will have to shell out another $80
makes a person to think too much. $19.99 + $79.95 = ????Oo??

Hi all,

I'm kind of reluctant to buy both apps too. I bought the desktop application a few months ago and I think it's a product with lots of potential and I was anticipating the iPhone app for sure, but...

however it's a nice product I thought the desktop application was not very sharply priced... but ok, I bought it and didn't regret it, certainly not with the iPhone compatibility that was to come.

Now to pay $20 for the iPhone app while I already payed a serious amount of money for a single-user todo-app is dissappointing.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this? I wouldn't be suprised you would actually sell more of your products when there is some value for your customers who already got one of the two.

I would really like a sensible response to this and hope you can make a nice gesture for valued customers.

But besides all this, keep up the good work, you're making great apps.

Dries

There is a lengthy discussion of pricing for both editions of OmniFocus here: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=7110

It covers some philosophical/marketing reasons for our prices, as well as the ways Apple's App Store limit our pricing options.