The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature Request: Read Only Omni Files Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a feature request.

It would be cool if there was a way to share the files I make with Omni Outliner. What I do now when I want to share what I have written is expand every level and export it as a PDF. I would like to be able to give someone a fully collapsed file that they could navigate just like they could if they were using OO.
So what I am suggesting is a way that I could give someone an omni file that they could explore fully, they could highlight and copy text, but they couldn't make any changes to it, they couldn't actually DO anything with it but read it.
I don't know if you could do that with PDF or maybe just a sort of freeware version of OO where its read only.
That would also be a cool way to show off the program. If I could share things that way I wouldn't be surprised if my friends bought the program after having a chance to explore the files I created with it.

If your outline has more than 20 rows, anyone opening it with an unlicensed copy of OmniOutliner (such as you would get simply downloading it from the website without buying a license) will automatically open it read-only. They can still view and print, so you can send OmniOutliner documents to someone who doesn't own them for everything except editing.

Exporting to HTML Dynamic is also another way to go (the best if you're giving this to a Windows user) if you have the professional version. That will allow them to collapse and expand the document.