The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniWeb 5.7 is weirdly like 1.0 version software. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Well, thanks for everyone's input. I've decided to wait till the next major version before trying OmniWeb again. I've requested and been granted a refund and cancelation of my license. Here's hoping v6 will be considerably improved.

I've been finding it unbearable lately, it simply has too many problems. There are sites that don't load well; it's SLOW, with 3GB ram it's just slow. Also, I can't drag a simple JPEG to the desktop because it appears as a html file. The find command is too annoying; Safari completely owns OW here and I hugely miss that feature. What's taking them so long?!

The window position bug keeps living forever and ever. No other browser on Earth has this fallacy.

OW can't hold being my default browser, I'm seriously thinking of switching to either Safari or FF. It's a huge pitty because OW has a nice and unique feature set, and it has elegance but it just doesn't deliver, it's outdated, it doesn't keep up, there is no passion.... where are the developers? It seems that it's just on life support mode.

What a pitty.

Last edited by migueld; 2008-07-04 at 02:28 AM..

We understand that folks are frustrated, and we're certainly frustrated, as well. We devote as many resources to OmniWeb as we possibly can; if folks are unhappy, please contact the support ninjas with specifics of the problem and we'll do whatever we can to solve the issue.

Generic statements of 'it's slow', though, don't contain enough information to be of any assistance to us or to you. What site, vs. what browser? If you start both browsers into empty workspaces, what is the difference in page load times between the two?

And please don't think that we're not passionate about OmniWeb. That couldn't be farther from the truth.

Last edited by Brian; 2008-07-04 at 06:07 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueld View Post
Also, I can't drag a simple JPEG to the desktop because it appears as a html file.
If you can send an example page to the support ninjas, we can look into this. My guess is that the JPEG in question has a link attached - if I remember correctly OmniWeb gives preference to dragging the linked file in preference to the image. (Again, I'm guessing here. The ninjas would know better than I, and an example page would be helpful to them.)

If I *am* correct, the workaround would be to control-click the image, then select Image -> Download Image As... from the menu that appears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
APOO4
Association for the Promotion of OmniOutliner 4.0
I would like to join this organization. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueld View Post
It seems that it's just on life support mode.
I couldn't agree more with this, and everything else you said. I love Omni and I will always look forward to anything they're working on, but in its present state, to be blunt, OmniWeb is deteriorating into a real piece of crap.

It's insanely slow ... vs. EVERY browser, on EVERY page. Not because the renderer is slow, but because it slows down my entire computer, including itself, because it makes horrible use of memory, doesn't clean up after itself, and is generally very poorly optimized. I had to keep quitting it repeatedly throughout the day to reclaim all the wasted memory, but sadly this only partially mitigates the unacceptable amount of disk paging it causes.

Honestly, I couldn't keep using OmniWeb even if I wanted to. It simply wastes way too much of my time with beachball parties and futile struggles to regain control of my computer without having to endure 2-3 minute periods of disk grinding.

- PowerBook G4 (1.67 GHz), 1.5 GB RAM, 160 GB HD with > 20 GB free
- Mac OS X 10.5.3
- OmniWeb 5.8SP1 (this applies to all previous versions over the past couple years though)

Last edited by Stormchild; 2008-07-04 at 07:22 PM..

I would look at the specs you've just posted for your computer and ask yourself whether that isn't a part of the problem ... why you're finding everything slow ... comparative lack of RAM using a version of an operating system that works best with lots of RAM; using a version of an operating system that apparently uses very frequent screen redraws on a computer without the graphics underpinning that it really expects; virtually no spare space on your hard disk ...

If Safari or others run faster for you, then well and good, use them. But it seems that a very large majority of us are happy with OW -- I for one -- and do not have the gripes that you do, have had about 5 forced shut-downs in a year at a guess, and I think three of those are the result of installing a plug-in that doesn't like the Apple Website ... so I use Safari for that. I don't notice OW being any slower than Safari, or Opera ...

I just don't think lashing out at Omni and intemperate language as has been being used recently -- not necessarily by you, I hasten to add -- helps anyone.

I agree, the speed of a browser depends of how we use it, configure it, our internet connection, traffic, computer configuration etc, etc……

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
If you can send an example page to the support ninjas, we can look into this. My guess is that the JPEG in question has a link attached - if I remember correctly OmniWeb gives preference to dragging the linked file in preference to the image. (Again, I'm guessing here. The ninjas would know better than I, and an example page would be helpful to them.)

If I *am* correct, the workaround would be to control-click the image, then select Image -> Download Image As... from the menu that appears.
This happens on several sites but the main one that I find a huge gripe is www.gmail.com

View any JPG attachment, try to drag it to the desktop and it'll appear as a HTML file. Even "Download Image As..." doesn't work.

Both Safari and FF work fine; OW doesn't.

Ah what a breath of fresh air... I took the plunge and now Safari is my default browser.

Yes I'm already missing the vertical tabs but the performance is so fresh...

Wow; my experience with OW couldn't be farther from what some of you are going through. OW has been extremely stable for me. I'd say I have about 10 tabs open across three workspaces at any given time. Though I'm still on 10.4, so I can't speak to OW's performance under Leopard.

The only time OW beachballs is when I clear my History, but I think that has something to do with the Bloglines beta so I don't completely attribute that to OW. And I suppose the long-standing Netflix star rating problem is a nuisance, but the same thing happens with Safari on my iPhone, so again, something outside of OW is at play.

Here's hoping the support ninjas come through for everyone who's having stability issues...