The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

what's the difference between an OF Archive file and an OF Backup file Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am thinking about removing my someday/future lists from my main OF database to help make it smaller (and hopefully help keep me more focused and organized).

I started moving them to a text/taskpaper file, but the "Export to Plain Text (Taskpaper)" option leaves a lot to be desired (there is a lot of clean up afterwards, especially with not having line breaks between a tasks notes and the next task!). I have decided against going this route.

My current idea is moving them all into another OF database which I can open up periodically (with a reminder from my active OF database, of course). What I would like to know is what is the difference between a ".ofocus-archive" and ".ofocus-backup" file? Both can be opened concurrently with the main database and I can drag items back and forth between the two, which is what I'd be doing with my someday/future items. Is one preferred over the other as far as making it a usable database file?

Or could I just make another ".ofocus" file (not backup or archive) with a different name and do the same thing? Is this a bad thing to do?

Has anyone else tried this? How does it work from both an organizational and a technological point of view?

Thanks for any insights,
Eric

Structurally, I don't believe there's any difference between the three. It just helps differentiate the different purposes they're intended for.

I know opening/editing multiple .ofocus and -backup files is something the app design takes into account and supports. I'm not aware of any negative effects caused by having multiple -archive files open or editing them, but I can't be sure that we took that possibility into account when designing the app.

I'd stick with one of the former two types of file, but only because I'm paranoid like that. :-)