The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OG6: Inspector Palette need more flexibilty Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It's hard to complain about this, because the individual inspectors are now so great. For example, I love the Scale Font and Scale Stroke options of the Geometry inspector. I love that shift-spinning the rotation wheel gives you increments of 15˚ instead of 45˚, that the Alignment inspector doesn't have the horizontal/vertical-spacing fields directly to the right of the spread-evenly buttons, etc., etc.

But I miss one thing about OG5's unruly palettes: I could see all the ones I use at the same time when on the Thunderbolt monitor.

Now, I can't have direct access to the Fill inspector and the Action inspector (for AppleScripting) at the same time, and I use both constantly. Same is true of the Grid inspector, which I use often, and not just when setting up a document: e.g., bumping major grid spacing up when moving a graphics long distances with the arrow keys, bumping minor grid steps up when making ultrafine movements.

What I'd like to see is a 7th inspector tab called "Custom," where I'd be able to drag any inspector from any of the other six groupings. It wouldn't have to remove the inspector from where it was dragged from. It would just live in both places. Plus, then there would be no wasted real-estate from collapsed inspectors I seldom or never use.

(It also would be nice if the inspectors would shrink and grow to accommodate controls that appear only in certain scenarios. E.g., the Fill inspector is pretty tall so it can accommodate gradients, but it's tall even when gradients aren't applied.)

It seems as if to accommodate people with small screens (which this does very well), the new Inspectors palette has inconvenienced those with large screens. But again, bravo on the individual inspectors. I love them.