The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OW and the standard FTP client Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi!

This isn't a real bug but more of an ongoing annoyance (at least with all 5.* versions): Every time I set OmniWeb as default browser (via its own preferences) it also sets itself as the default FTP client—without asking and despite the fact that I've already got a proper FTP client (Transmit in my case) for the job. IMHO this shouldn't happen …!

Thanks!

Christian

I'd like to mention this is driving me insane as well. Is there any way to suppress this?

Interesting. I hadn't noticed this, because I never click FTP links (I always initiate FTP sessions manually from within Transmit*), but I just checked Transmit's settings, and sure enough, OmniWeb had somehow become my default FTP client.

Not that it makes any difference to me, but I don't think it should be doing that either -- especially since OmniWeb does not have a setting in its own UI for specifying this.

I went into Transmit, set Transmit as my default FTP client, and it seems to be staying that way now, but I never change my default browser setting, so maybe that's what triggers it?

* Except when I download individual files while browsing which happen to be served by FTP, in which case I still want OW to grab those.

Last edited by Stormchild; 2007-11-23 at 08:53 AM..

Ouch, I hadn't noticed this either. Setting the default browser should _only_ set the default browser not your default ftp client as well. Sorry for the trouble here I'll file a bug on this.

I think we probably did this to save on UI. We'd like to be able to offer making OmniWeb the default for ftp in case the user only has Finder as an alternative but stealing this from a real client is lame.

Has this been officially resolved? It's still constantly getting me, and I'm on the latest version....