The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Another publishing question Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Sorry if this has been answered in another thread. But I'm starting with a template and trying to save it out with a unique file name in a different location. When I try and do so I get the following message:
Publishing actions will not be saved

Data is likely to get lost if more than one document is publishing to the same place, so the publishing actions will not be copied into the new document.
Now, I don't understand this. I thought the whole point of publishing was to be able to save resource data from multiple projects into one spot so that you can see when there are resource constraints across projects. What am I missing?

thanks.

I believe I can answer my ow question. It appears that maintain publishing actions to an Omnisync server you have to create a new project file. Simply doing a "Save As," of an existing file will throw the alert box I was seeing. Somewhere (I think it was a forum post) I got the impression that by doing a "Save As," you were creating a new identifier for the project file which would avoid this problem. But I gather that in fact the identifier is created when you create the new file itself. I would like it if someone could confirm what I am explaining.

Syncing the file to the Omni Sync Server is one pub/sub action that we could probably make work without requiring any re-setup by the user. As you've pointed out, your plan gets a new unique identifier when you do a Save As, and that means it would be published under a different name on the server.

So far we've taken a safe and conservative approach to this kind of thing. Imagine the kind of leaks you could have if you did a Save As, started working on your Top Sekret project, and didn't realize that every time you saved it was automatically publishing everything to a publicly accessible calendar, or overwriting an HTML report for the original project. We decided it was better if you were forced to explicitly review every aspect of what's published, and this is a solution that doesn't require you to learn any new UI.

-Tom

Thanks for your replies Tom, I appreciate the help. I'm still a little confused on this one, though. If I open a file and save it with a different name it creates a new identifier for the file. That makes sense.

But if that's the case, then why am I getting the alert box when I try and save the file under a different name? I assume that alert would only happen if I was trying to save a file with the same name, to the same Omnisync server location.

thanks!