The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10.5.2 freezes - OmniGraffle connection? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just wondering ... could I install the app on my 2 year old MacBook Pro and maybe avoid this crash from happening, as least for the time being?

I've got an original MacBook Pro (CoreDuo) with the ATI chipset and I haven't seen this particular crash, yet. So I'd say the chances are good that you wouldn't see it.

18 month old revision 1 17" MBP ... no problems.

:)

Yeah, the good news is I installed the app on my MacBook Pro and it seems to avoid the problem.

(BTW WHen I was using OmniGraffle Pro 5 on my Mac Pro, I noticed the weird crash usually happened whenever I made a copy of elements and then tried to drag them, with them overlapping the original selected elements in any way.)

Does anybody know if the 10.5.3 update fixes the problem? I would like to update OmniGraffle to version 5 but dare not until this is fixed.
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
Does anybody know if the 10.5.3 update fixes the problem? I would like to update OmniGraffle to version 5 but dare not until this is fixed.
Steve
It's not fixed in 10.5.4. From my testing the freezing occurs if you have nVidea drivers and dual monitors. It's not restricted to OmniGraffle 5 either, I had to stop using Numbers because it also freezes the display. And another poster here mentioned that even Excel is capable of exercising this feature.

There are several work-arounds:
(a) disconnect the second monitor from the graphics card (verified by me)
(b) buy an ATI video card if you have a Mac Pro (unverified by me)
(c) Revert to OmniGraffle 4 if possible (not confirmed by me)

I can confirm that you can always ssh into the machine from another computer and kill the login window process.

OmniGroup's ninjas are working to reproduce this problem. I found it easiest to reproduce when editing a Visio VSD file in OmniGraffle 5.

Best ...

- John

I'm having the same problem as the other users (under the same conditions - dual monitor, macbook pro, leopard) however, I'm noticing it only happens with a certain omnigraffle files.

Is there a fix for this? Do we need to get new drivers?

jonbloomers, thanks for the fix about disconnecting the 2nd monitor. I'll give that a try next time it happens.