The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

On Hold projects show up in review Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but in the review view, the availability is set to "Available", which should block On Hold projects, but they still show up for me. Is this a bug or a different interpretation of the availability settings?

On the iPad, every project whose next review date has arrived appears in the review view. If you would like to see this changed, send in a request with Contact Omni under the gear menu.

That setting affects which items appear within the project, rather than which projects appear.

I review paused projects all the time. In fact, with my current scheme, reviewing is more often than not simply deciding whether to pause or unpause a project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi View Post
That setting affects which items appear within the project, rather than which projects appear.
It also affects which projects are displayed in the Project view.

I only review paused projects during my weekly review, but I only like to see available projects during my daily reviews. I think Curt does something like this, where he only sets a few projects as active for the upcoming week. I find that it makes my daily reviews much less overwhelming.

I find myself doing reviews more on the iPad now, and it has gotten me to set more realistic review times than "weekly" or "daily".

Projects I know I don't need to think about for a while might get a three month review period, others may six, or even one year.

This limits the number of items I'm looking at at any one time, while still trusting the items will come up when they need to.

For items I'm unsure on, I leave them at a week until I find myself pushing them forward a few times, then I either drop them or lengthen the review time.

Something I find frustrating about the iPad review facility is that there is no way to set the next review date. If I have a project that is dormant for a while, I probably don't want to review it at all, but I don't want to achieve that by changing the review interval, because when it becomes active again it will need much closer attention. The database already stores the needed data to make this work well, but I can only set one of the values from the Mac. If I decide while receiving on iPad that a project should get a future start date and thus a new next review date, I have to mark the project in some fashion or add a note to the inbox reminding me to fix it up when I'm at the Mac. I've tried the more scalable approach of adding a task to the OmniFocus group's inbox to have them fix this for everyone, but they haven't done it yet — maybe it is more than a 2 minute task :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus26 View Post
I only review paused projects during my weekly review, but I only like to see available projects during my daily reviews. I think Curt does something like this, where he only sets a few projects as active for the upcoming week. I find that it makes my daily reviews much less overwhelming.
Yep. Being able to hide on-hold projects and those with future start dates from review mode is my number one feature request for the iPad. I've sketched out a script to run on the Mac that will push review dates forward on projects like that. Unfortunately, I won't have a chance to write it up for a couple of weeks; the freshmen arrive on campus tomorrow and classes start next week.

Curt

Unlike some of you, I actually like "hold" projects to be shown in the review session. As with any projects, things can be fluid or situations can change; so, it doesn't hurt to review even those projects that are on hold once in awhile.

As far as changing the review interval, it's so easy in the iPad that I don't mind doing this once in awhile to keep me on top of things.

I would much rather to a few extra reviews than let things slip or miss an opportunity.

Just another perspective.

Ken

I don't mind a few extra reviews, but a few hundred or thousand extra reviews is a bit much! If putting a project or action on hold until some future date meant changing the context (and having to change it back) instead of putting on a start date and leaving the context unchanged, would you think that an acceptable solution? That is similar to what an iPad-only review forces me to do with a project that I don't wish to review for a substantial period of time, but then wish to review frequently. With lots of pending and on hold projects, time spent needlessly "reviewing" them on the iPad adds up!