The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus integration with OmniPlan 2? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
There's a balance to be struck here, for sure. If your goal is to make a tool that can handle any workflow, not one of the many pretty toys, you don't want to make all of your decisions in favor of new user comfort at the expense of the experienced user. It's great to have a UI where you can easily discover everything without looking at the manual, except for the part where having discovered everything, you discover that you can't really do much, or all the "help" that you were given up the learning curve now just interferes :-)

Given Omni's apparent preference for building general purpose tools, I think users looking to find tools that will tell them how to do their work are looking in the wrong place. I know, CatOne will be along shortly to complain about how OmniFocus is too restrictive, but I think he'd agree that that restrictiveness isn't useful in showing you how to manage your tasks, it just gets easier when you figure out how to work with the tool instead of against it. That's a property of probably every tool ever invented — picture the prehistoric man trying to club some animal with the first spear :-)