The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Community > Omni Lounge
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniWeb gets a little bit of free advertising... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I didn't see OmniWeb mentioned at that link. Some of us are running OmniWeb 3.1rc2 (I think that was the latest version) on OpenStep 4.2. Mine's on a 450 MHz Pentium II in addition to my 25 MHz 68040 NeXTstation.

haha! there's a screenshot around here of an older OW (2 i think?) running on windows, in VPC on a mac that always amuses me when I see it. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethkatz17582
I didn't see OmniWeb mentioned at that link. Some of us are running OmniWeb 3.1rc2 (I think that was the latest version) on OpenStep 4.2. Mine's on a 450 MHz Pentium II in addition to my 25 MHz 68040 NeXTstation.
Look at the black monitor in the image ;)

Beth blocks images from other sites, so she doesn't see that you included the image you were pointing out.

Out of curiosity, does anybody know where you might be able to get an old NeXT computer? It would be very interesting to play around with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
Beth blocks images from other sites, so she doesn't see that you included the image you were pointing out.
Ah, sledgehammer and nuts. ;)

Beth, if you go to the link and flick through the screenshots and photos, you'll get to what I mean.

OmniGroup - it might make a nice sticky to have here at the forums some form of timeline for each of the apps to show their history.

No, this was my 46-year-old eyes not looking at the pictures closely enough. I saw the pictures, but I didn't expand them individually and what was on the Powerbook wasn't anything Omni. Sorry. :(

Ah, OmniWeb 2--when we first wrote our own rendering and networking engines (to avoid the threading problems with the old NCSA Mosiac/Lynx/CERN www libraries).

I remember when Ken first showed us OmniWeb--we were supposed to be working on a short deadline for Concurrence 2 for Lighthouse Design and over the weekend Ken wrote a web browser.

The next Monday we were all, "Hey where is the code you were--wow, that's cool! But it doesn't support X... let me do that." A week later or so, OmniWeb 0.5 was released to the wild for free with no expiration. Next thing we knew, some secret government agencies came to us and said, "We can't use free software, can we buy it?" and thus the first commercial web browser was born.