The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ability to set default units for all templates Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
+1

It's actually quite irritating that even when using a metric-ised template the shape sizes are still reported in inches.

Though I think that the U.S. vs. the others discussion, albeit agreeable in content, is a bit over the top here, I can wholeheartedly agree to the call for a global cm setting. Pls. keep the thread alive.

I have been assessing OmniGraffle today with a view to purchase. As others in this thread have said, I find it amazing that there is not a way to change the units for the whole application. It is extremely offputting, and is making me think twice about purchasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james. View Post
I have been assessing OmniGraffle today with a view to purchase. As others in this thread have said, I find it amazing that there is not a way to change the units for the whole application. It is extremely offputting, and is making me think twice about purchasing.
Buy it, or don't buy it -- that's your decision. Presumably you have some need to use this not inexpensive piece of software, or you wouldn't be considering its purchase. If you have some other candidate which is equally good and doesn't suffer from this heinous omission of a one-click preference setting for defaulting to US or metric units, go buy it instead. The fact that you are here grumbling suggests that you haven't found such an alternative, so by refusing to buy OmniGraffle, are you sticking your thumb in the Omni Group's eye, or your own?

Furthermore, if you read the rest of this thread, you'll notice that someone has already provided a solution (a set of templates converted to metric units) which essentially makes this all go away after the investment of oh, 5 or 10 minutes of effort. You're willing to spend $100 or more to buy this software, but it isn't going to enhance your workflow enough to recoup the one-time investment of that 5 or 10 minutes to load an alternate set of templates which have all metric units?

If the problem was that OmniGraffle didn't support using metric units, I would be 100% in support of anyone in a metric environment who thought that was a showstopper. That's not the situation here. There is a way to change the units the program uses, and not just to centimeters, but picas, points, pixels, decimal inches, yards, millimeters, etc. You even get control over the abbreviations used for some of them! See the Ruler units preference in the Canvas: Size inspector (cmd-3). What currently is not provided is a way to select a set of document templates in your preferred units, without using the Finder. If you just want OmniGraffle to behave as if the Omni developers lived in a metric country, go download Templates.zip as posted earlier in this thread, rename the existing Application Support/OmniGraffle/Templates folder to be Templates.US or Templates.original, and replace it with the new one. Want those original templates back? Rename the new Templates folder and put the original one back. That's your reason for not buying the application?

Ok, I use metric units, and I think this is being exaggerated a bit. It takes precisely one visit to a popup menu in the rulers inspector to change the unit. This will also affect the unit that shape sizes and so on are reported in. Yes, it would be nice if we could set a global default, but that's really all it is - something nice that doesn't really make a huge difference.

Just a suggestion: in OS X one can change country settings in SystemPreferences. There is an option for the units to use.

I would love if OG could use this as default and offers to change it (e.g. in the ruler's setting) if one needs other units than the system default.

Greetings
Sven

btw: On my computer it's now 13:01 not 1:01 pm :-))

Last edited by McSvenster; 2010-06-19 at 03:04 AM..

Dear Lorin,

Thank you very much for the metric templates - a huge help!

Tim

I agree with all that need the metric system as default!
W ll knw tht mrcns r lttl "bhnd" and that the rest of us nowadays use the metric system.
Accordingly, change the default or at least make it easy for the rest of us (equals the majority of the world) to change to and use a system that makes sense!

Last edited by Brian; 2012-12-04 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: A tech support forum is no place for politics. Disemvoweling.

You have "nailed it"!
Th prgrmmrs bhnd mngrffl hv srly lst thr trck nd bng gnrnt f th mst sd systm f msrmnts s nthng bt pthtc…
Snc th rpns, whch frst nvntd nd thrftr bndnd th ld "mprl systm," whch s lft by vrybdy bt th mrcns t s xtr pthtc…
spclly ftr th "Bstn t prty"…
n thr wrds, why r th mrcns s ncrdbly stck n prsrvng smthng thy wntd t lv frm th bgnnng?
s t bcs thy r "stckd" r hv dsr t b smthng thy stll hv nt ccmplshd?
jst wndr, bt mrcns rlly hv t cstmz thmslvs t th rst f th Wstrn wrld!
E.g., see http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system where it is stated that "The United States is the only industrialised country that does not use the metric system as its official system of measurement, although the metric system has been officially sanctioned for use there since 1866."
What about that?!…

Last edited by Brian; 2012-12-04 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: Ad homimem attacks will not be tolerated. Consider yourself warned.