The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Irregularly Repeating Project? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have some projects that repeat but not at regular intervals. For example:

> Scope a new client service
> A business trip
> Revise a training course

In each of these examples, the actions are essentially the same every time. I can't use the built-in 'repeat' feature because there is no regular interval on the original assignment or completion date.

It occurred to me to take a completed project, copy it, and then update it for a new project, but this way seems like almost as much work as starting from scratch.

What is the best practice for such cases? I bet that there is a simple way, but I'm just missing it.

Thanks!

Have you tried setting a start date, then set the repeating interval to whatever it is you want, and set the project to repeat from Completed date?

Example:
Project Test
click on start date and set to today
click on the inspector icon to view the inspector for the project
set it to repeat every 2 weeks
set it to repeat based on completion date

complete the project.

The next start date should be 12-14-2008.

If you have a specific example of a project you are trying to repeat, it may be easier to set up a test.

Sounds like a good candidate for Curt's Populate Template Placeholders script. It's discussed in the last post on this thread and there are links to other discussions of it there also

Yes, I would use a template in that situation. I have a dropped 'Templates' folder that holds all my template projects; once I need them I simply open up my Templates perspective, duplicate the appropriate project and drag it to where it needs to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
Have you tried setting a start date, then set the repeating interval to whatever it is you want, and set the project to repeat from Completed date?

Example:
Project Test
click on start date and set to today
click on the inspector icon to view the inspector for the project
set it to repeat every 2 weeks
set it to repeat based on completion date

complete the project.

The next start date should be 12-14-2008.

If you have a specific example of a project you are trying to repeat, it may be easier to set up a test.
This approach won't work for me because each new instance of such a project won't begin at any regular interval based on a previous instance. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malisa View Post
Sounds like a good candidate for Curt's Populate Template Placeholders script. It's discussed in the last post on this thread and there are links to other discussions of it there also
This script is an interesting option. I will try it. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyleigh View Post
Yes, I would use a template in that situation. I have a dropped 'Templates' folder that holds all my template projects; once I need them I simply open up my Templates perspective, duplicate the appropriate project and drag it to where it needs to be.
This approach is straight-forward. I will try it. It seems like the script simply automates the changes that are necessary after duplicating the template, so it might be even better. Thanks!