The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multiple users accessing the same outline Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there any capability in OmniOutliner Pro for 2 users to be simultaneously making changes to a document from their respective computers? For example, if I moved an outline onto a central server, could 2 people open the file & make changes and edit it simultaneously?

I don't think that would work, so I'm hoping for some sort of a SubEthaEdit functionality added to OmniOutliner in a future version... for collaborative outlining over a WAN (or LAN, but preferably over a WAN).

My screenwriting partner and I would love to both be working on our screenplay outline simultaneously... from 2 separate computers. And we're usually in 2 separate locations, so doing this over a WAN would be ideal.

If not that, then I suppose a second-best option would be to have a "track changes" feature, so we can email the outline back & forth to each other and see what new changes were made.

Or a "sync" feature might work too -- although my screenwriting partner and I don't share the same MobileMe account, so we wouldn't be able to sync through MobileMe.

Thanks!

I was just looking at a competitor product to OmniOutliner called NoteTaker because they DO having sharing features built into that program.

I absolutely cannot stand the horribly confusing interface of NoteTaker, but it looks like they have 2 components available called "NoteShare" and "NoteShare Server", which let multiple users edit outlines simultaneously over a LAN or WAN network.

This looks like exactly the type of "collaborative outline sharing" that we're looking for. It reminds me of how FileMaker Pro works with FileMaker Server, which is very elegant and easy-to-use.

But we are not planning on using NoteTaker, because that product is NOT elegant or easy-to-use.

Instead, we would love to see something like NoteShare Server integrated into OmniOutliner.

Last edited by scotty321; 2009-04-19 at 05:06 AM..