The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image import to MS Word (MAC) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is anyone able to help with the right configuration, or a freeware bridge application, that will help me put high quality OG diags into word documents. At present, my best option is to export to visio and then 'cut- paste special' into word.

However, after recently returning to Macs after an extended absence, if I can avoid being forced back to PCs for this task (a daily occurrence for me) I'd really like to.

I have tried most of the export options, none of which gave satisfactory results.

thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give.

gavin

Gavin, what goes wrong with the existing formats you can export to? There's a bunch of bitmap and vector formats that work perfectly fine for me.

Hi Tommy, I have sent a sample to your gmail address if you interested. Basically, they either come out looking either pixellated (BMP formats) or lose all of their 'structure' information (vector).

whats your secret?

I don't claim to have tried all permutation, but the one I have found to work is export EPS and then in Word, make sure you print to a Postscript printer. This could, of course, be a real printer but it could also be an imaginary one that you always do a "Save to PDF" option for. The trick is that Word behaves differently when it thinks there is a Postscript printer on the receiving end of the print job.

Printing to Acrobat Distiller also works since it presents itself as a Postscript device.

All other combinations I've tried result in a very poor quality rasterization somewhere along the line.

I think I have got a (not particularly elegant) partial solution.

A screen grab in preview seems to work fairly well. Have also been thinking that maybe powerpoint might be a bit better (as a bridge application) as it would handle this kind of graphical data much more often. Haven't had time to check yet, or to try Johns suggestion, but will have a go tomorrow.

Would still be very interested if anyone has the 'perfect' solution,

Cheers
g

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF
I don't claim to have tried all permutation, but the one I have found to work is export EPS and then in Word, make sure you print to a Postscript printer. This could, of course, be a real printer but it could also be an imaginary one that you always do a "Save to PDF" option for. The trick is that Word behaves differently when it thinks there is a Postscript printer on the receiving end of the print job.

Printing to Acrobat Distiller also works since it presents itself as a Postscript device.
If you need to print to non-postscript devices and have Distiller, you can make a PDF through Distiller and print it to your printer from either Acrobat or Preview. I'm not sure you can use the System .ps conversion since it might not embed the bitmap preview of the .ps.

Gavin, try copying as a vector Pict (if you have OmniGraffle 4), and pasting into Word for the Mac. You'll hold on to the vector artwork and text, provided it's not too terribly complicated.

Hope that helps,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel
Gavin, try copying as a vector Pict (if you have OmniGraffle 4), and pasting into Word for the Mac. You'll hold on to the vector artwork and text, provided it's not too terribly complicated.

...As long as you don't intend to use it on a PC :(

Corentin

Tommy has pointed out my error in not changing the resolution from default 72 dpi when I exported to jpeg..... too many mindless years on PCs is my excuse.

problem solvered.
g

If. but if I can reasonable images into th