The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Arranging / ordering 'Due' items Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been using the 'Due' icon to manage my daily tasks - but have been unable to control the order of the items generated from my various projects in the same way I can when working from the 'Projects' icon.

I'm wondering if it's possible to arrange items in the 'Due' icon and if so, how?

Thanks.

The built-in "Due" perspective operates in Context mode, which doesn't allow you to arbitrarily rearrange the items in the listing. You do have some control with the View bar settings, and the ability to close the various groupings by the little triangles. One variation that you might conceivably employ would be to group by due and sort by project. Another might be to specify a shorter duration, if you had a limited block of time, or flagged items if you use the flags as a priority indication (or any sort of indication, for that matter). If you come up with a variation that seems to have potential future usefulness to you, you can save it with the Perspectives functionality.

If you do employ the group by due and sort by project, you can have some rearrangement capability by reordering the projects in the sidebar in project mode. You'll move all of the actions for a project in a clump by doing so, so you can't make any possible ordering, but maybe it will do what you need.

Yet another option if you're determined to make an arbitrarily ordered task list is to simply drag the actions in the order you want them into a TextEdit document and work them from there. You'll end up with links back to the OmniFocus document which you can click to jump to a new window with the action in question selected.

a workaround I just discovered is to sort by 'changed', then check and uncheck tasks in the reverse order that you want to order them by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbrown00 View Post
a workaround I just discovered is to sort by 'changed', then check and uncheck tasks in the reverse order that you want to order them by.
Ah, someone who is thinking outside the box! I like it...though you'll want to be sure you've done all the changing of the notes and so on first or you might scramble the order again. Also beware of repeating tasks! It might be safer, if less convenient, to edit the name of the task.

Yikes. Unfortunate to have to resort to such methods for such a otherwise sophisticated product.

Agreed! Some of our plans for OmniFocus 2 should make this a lot easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Ah, someone who is thinking outside the box! I like it...though you'll want to be sure you've done all the changing of the notes and so on first or you might scramble the order again. Also beware of repeating tasks! It might be safer, if less convenient, to edit the name of the task.
Yes. Good point. I'm now just adding a blank space to the task name