The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omniplan - task, team of workers, cost Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

this is probably a newbie question, since I`ve only used Omniplan for a day or 2 so far :).

I will try to use a short example to depict my problem:
- Let`s have a task called "Software implementation"
- Let`s have a group of resources called "Developers"
I want to assign the team of developers to work on the implementation - that`s easy. I know they should be finished with the work within 4 days - setting the task`s duration and effort is easy too.
- Let`s say that each member`s cost/hour is 175 (currency doesn`t matter now) and that a day contains 8 working hours
The cost of the task should be (with 4 days task effort and 4 developers): 175*4*8*4 = 22400. However, Omniplan splits the 4 days effort among the developers, making each of them work only for a day. As a result, the cost is trimmed to: 175*8*4 = 5600.
Thus, splitting the work among the members is the one thing I don`t want Omniplan to do.

An obvious solution would be to multiply the effort time but that also increases the duration, which is unthinkable since I know the task can be done in aproximately 4 days :).
So, is there a way to make Omniplan assign a group of people to a task while not splitting the effort time among them? Or is there some other way how to achieve my goal without splitting the task into 4 simultaneous tasks, each for a developer?

Thanks for any advice,
Jiri

EDIT: it works when I keep duration fixed and add resources one by one, but that is quite clumsy since eventually I need this done many times.

Last edited by DarkAngeL; 2012-11-10 at 07:47 AM..

You can speed things up by making the default setting for new tasks be set up as "fixed duration" tasks. To do this, create a new task and change its setting to fixed duration and while the task is still selected, go to "Project" > "Set as Default for New Tasks". Now, ever task that you create will automatically be set to fixed duration.

To speed up the assignment part, you can select multiple tasks and go to the "Task : Assignment" inspector. As you check each resource it will be assigning them to all the tasks in your selection.