The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Question About Repeating Tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've just started using OmniFocus a couple of days ago, evaluating it having used Things.

One thing I can't figure out, which I would appreciate some help on is repeating tasks that I will miss.

Let's I have a weekly repeating task for Monday at work and the next Monday is a holiday and I won't be at work. So I will do the task on Tuesday when I go back to work. I have two choices. I can either let the task sit in "Overdue" until the next day. The problem here is that I don't want to see things in overdue if I can help it. It creates anxiety for me. I can reschedule the task so that it will be due on Tuesday instead of Monday. If I do that, then the week after the task will be due on Tuesday instead of Monday, which I don't want.

I can't check the task off or delete it because I haven't done it and I still want it for next week. Unfortunately, stuff like this a couple times of month.

What is the best way to get around this? In "Things" a new task automatically gets generated and that task can be manipulated however I want apart from the master repeating task that never gets touched - the task just gets copied instead. Am I missing something or is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks!

Anyone? Help!!

Probably the easiest thing to do is to duplicate the task, clear the repeat flag on one and adjust its date(s), and adjust the date(s) on the other one to be correct for two weeks out.

Alternatively, just change the date on the original task, and also make a note to reset the date of the repeat (and remove the note). The former is a bit more work, but doesn't require remembering to do anything.

I see. I was hoping there was an easier way to do it, but I guess not. Rather than copying it, I'll just leave it bolded and red saying, it's due!

I can live with that rather than doing extra work to duplicate tasks.

Thanks!