The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Returning to no folders Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Didn't even occur to me (obviously) that you were talking about support materials, sorry. But, as long as we're on the subject, I'm a big fan of DropBox (http://www.dropbox.com) for such things. Set up a hierarchy in your DropBox folder and your machines stay up to date with each other with no action required on your part except to connect to the internet. There's a free option if you can get by with 2 GB or less of shared storage, otherwise there are paid options which offer much more storage space. You can also publish external links to individual items so you can mail a URL to someone instead of trying to send them an enormous file, and you can also set up shared folders with other DropBox users.

hypotyposis/whpalmer4, My original post was not as clear as it should have been. I am using MobileMe and my OF data is stored there. I'm synchronizing my OF data between my phone, laptop, and desktop.

What I am manually moving around are the active project and some reference folders and their contents. Some or all of this will more than likely stop. I'm may resort to using my external USB drives so the data stays in one place.

Of course I could store those in the cloud as well but since some of my reference files are sensitive, I prefer to keep them on my machines. I have a task for examining what options exist for keeping files in sync but that is a maybe/Someday thing! Just haven't had the time yet.

I'm looking into the Ready Set Do scripts and it looks interesting.

Thanks to you and whpalmer4 for your responses. I'm still new with both GTD and OF so I really appreciate your time!

Brad

Depending on the size of your reference materials, you could store them in encrypted disk images in the cloud, though at that point you would have to exercise more care about not making changes on more than one machine at a time, since the whole disk image becomes an opaque blob. You do get the advantage that the files are accessible (and backed up, in the case of DropBox) which wouldn't necessarily be the case if something happens to your external drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypotyposis View Post
I recommend you check out Todd Vasquez's Ready-Set-Do!, which provides a great, if somewhat rigid, integration of the finder structure for GTD, and interfaces decently with OmniFocus, I'm lead to understand.
I read about RSD and downloaded the trial. It looks like it has a means to move from OmniFocus to RSD but does not appear to be integrated with OF. Unless I'm missing something, it's a stand alone group of scripts that implements GTD. It does integrate with OmniOutliner Pro though.

I will say that Todd was very helpful and quick in assisting me with some install issues I had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmushrush View Post
I read about RSD and downloaded the trial. It looks like it has a means to move from OmniFocus to RSD but does not appear to be integrated with OF. Unless I'm missing something, it's a stand alone group of scripts that implements GTD. It does integrate with OmniOutliner Pro though.

I will say that Todd was very helpful and quick in assisting me with some install issues I had.
You are correct, bmushrush: I should have said "works nicely alongside". In my personal experience, I've used RSD along with OF to manage different things: e.g., the folder structure in the finder. Although RSD if used altogether is pretty strict in its implementation, nothing prevents you from picking and choosing which scripts to use and when to use them.
So for instance, I still make use of the "Get Inbox To Empty" script from RSD, which is linked to in my "Get Mac Files Inbox to Empty" task in OF, to clean up this part of my system; etc.

Hope this makes more sense.

No worries, I read what I wanted it to say ; )
You make a good point of picking and choosing. I do like the approach of using scripts and how RSD worked. I tested that approach with a couple of projects and really liked the structured result of actionable items. I'll come back to scripting once I get "something" in place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by malisa View Post
I just re-implemented folders, or actually a more AofF folder structure ... but knowing that I can 'flatten' things with a couple clicks will be nice too.
This version of the script behaves as a toggle - the first click gives a flat view, a second click returns to folder view.

Code:
-- Toggle between a flat and a folder-indented sidebar
-- (An experiment in conditional compilation, as latest Sneaky Peaks 
-- offer quicker (and more rationally ordered) 
-- flattening of the project list)

property pstrNewScript : "
script
on GetProjects(oDoc)
	using terms from application \"OmniFocus\"
		return flattened projects of oDoc
	end using terms from
end GetProjects
end script
"

property pstrOldScript : "
script
on GetProjects(oParent)
	using terms from application \"OmniFocus\"
		tell oParent
			-- ADJUST THE WHERE QUERIES TO MATCH THE PURPOSE
			set lstProjects to projects
			set lstFolders to folders
		end tell
		repeat with oFolder in lstFolders
			set lstProjects to lstProjects & my GetProjects(oFolder)
		end repeat
		return lstProjects
	end using terms from
end GetProjects
end script
"

tell application id "com.omnigroup.OmniFocus"
	set oDoc to default document
	set oWin to front document window of oDoc

if my IsNarrowed(focus of oWin) then
		set focus of oWin to {}
	else
		if build number ≥ "77.57.0.134152" then
			set oScript to run script pstrNewScript
		else
			set oScript to run script pstrOldScript
		end if
		set lstProjects to GetProjects(oDoc) of oScript
		set focus of oWin to lstProjects
	end if
end tell

-- Detect whether the sidebar has a narrowed focus
on IsNarrowed(oFocus)
	repeat with oObj in oFocus
		return true
	end repeat
	return false
end IsNarrowed

Last edited by RobTrew; 2010-06-22 at 10:23 PM..

RobTrew - thanks very much for the script! It is still helpful as I have folders for checklists, etc. But, I am pleased to report, I have done away completely with folders otherwise! Yes, that includes the Personal/Professional distinction!

Now we'll just have to see how long this lasts for...

I'm finding, though, that using a good set of perspectives linked to in my review projects seems to get me by adequately so far.

bmushrush – I should also note that, in my opinion, the RSD scripts for Read/Review stuff are one of the best way to deal with having lots of PDFs (or any other file format, really) to read on the computer, if by chance that's something you have to deal with...

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
This version of the script behaves as a toggle - the first click gives a flat view, a second click returns to folder view.
Nice! That's some impressive scripting, Rob. I love the embedding of the script definitions in properties to use the new flatten option when it's available.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
I love the embedding of the script definitions in properties to use the new flatten option when it's available.
Thank you, Curt ! The playing around with Run Script goes back to our discussion about scope for run-time editing of Where/Whose clauses. (It does turn out to be possible, though I have not quite decided whether that is the root of an odd interaction between the OO3 toolbar script-launcher and my row-filtering scripts)