The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Missing something, not OF, not OO.... ?? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Ok, I totally drank the Kool-aid on OF and OO (noob tip: buy OO first, get the discount on OF). So far so good, but there's a piece I'm still missing. I know this is not a OF or OO question, but I'm hoping someone here will have some good suggestions.

Here's what my work flow looks like...

Open OF, make a new project, call it "Survive Zombie Apocalypse" then add some actions like...
  • Research zombies
  • Research farming
  • Make packing list
  • Learn to use a cricket bat
  • Write to the UN about lack of zombie apocalypse response
  • Write to the POTUS about lack of funding for zombie cure research
  • Write to members of congress about lack of ear marks for state zombie response centers.

I do some research, sending some web clippings to OO, where I also make my packing list(s). Next it's time to write some letters and send some emails. I do my writing in Scrivener, then export to Pages or Word. For email I use my Mail to access my Gmail account.

Here's where I'm losing stuff. I have...
  • A project in OF.
  • At least one, but likely more than one Outline in OO.
  • Various web based resources in OO.
  • Documents in Scrivener, Pages and Word.
  • Various email messages.

That's not a particularly large or diverse group of stuff. What if I wanted to make movie and post it on youtube warning people about the looming zombie apocalypse? How about a timeline, pictures, or sound clips? I've got documents related to my project all over the darn place.

I need a way to find all that stuff, keep it in once place, and search it. Someone mentioned Journler, and DEVONThink; the first I didn't like, the second I'm trying to use BUT OH MY GOD THE LEARNING CURVE IS LIKE A FREEKING CLIFF! And let's not even talk about $150 for the ability to index my email...

And nothing sees into a Scrivener project, or an OO Document.

There's a part of me that's thinking about just doing everything in TextMate...

"Help me OB-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!"
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpathomas View Post
I need a way to find all that stuff, keep it in once place, and search it...

And nothing sees into a Scrivener project, or an OO Document.

There's a part of me that's thinking about just doing everything in TextMate...
I'm all for the simplicity of text files, but let's face it, you can't do *everything* in plain text (at least not as well as some other purpose-specific apps). So using a variety of apps and file formats is a given.

I don't know about Scrivener files, but Spotlight indexes and searches OO documents, along with just about everything else you've mentioned. And if you're already on Leopard, there's nothing extra to buy.

Now, I know a lot of people feel the need to use a third-party app for this kind of thing. And I'm sure those apps bring some sophisticated features to the table (especially DEVONThink), but I also think the tools built-in to Mac OS X are often overlooked. Spotlight search in Leopard is really good; so good, in fact, that I've abandoned almost all my other organizational tools and gone back to the basics (Finder, Spotlight, and Quick Look) for storing my reference and project support materials.

Note that you can also link external files to your OmniFocus projects and tasks. I tend to use OF as a front-end for managing all aspects of a project, with support materials linked in for easy access. And OF supports Quick Look, so it's easy to get a quick preview of all those little file icons.

-Dennis
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpathomas View Post
Here's where I'm losing stuff. I have...
  • A project in OF.
  • At least one, but likely more than one Outline in OO.
  • Various web based resources in OO.
  • Documents in Scrivener, Pages and Word.
  • Various email messages.
Question: How did you handle this BEFORE OmniFocus?

I recommend folders. A folder in the Finder for your documents. A folder/tag in your email for related emails. And, of course, a project in OmniFocus.

Then let the Power of Your Brain keep it all straight.

If that's too scattered, look at Entourage's projects. It will let you throw any kind of document, tasks, calendar events, contacts and emails all into a project. It integrates nicely with Word, too.
 
I'd second the use of folders. Put the related documents in a Finder folder, then drag that folder onto the project in OF to create an easy link. I also keep an Active folder on my desktop that contains aliases to the folders of my active projects. (Thanks, Ethan.)
__________________
Cheers,

Curt
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNik View Post
Question: How did you handle this BEFORE OmniFocus?

I recommend folders. A folder in the Finder for your documents. A folder/tag in your email for related emails. And, of course, a project in OmniFocus.

Then let the Power of Your Brain keep it all straight.

If that's too scattered, look at Entourage's projects. It will let you throw any kind of document, tasks, calendar events, contacts and emails all into a project. It integrates nicely with Word, too.
I used F/C, with a tab for complex projects. I keep notes, referenced email, documents and such on my PC. No more binder (gave it up for OF) means no more place to keep paper notes.

I suppose I could keep an index in a file on my Mac, but I wouldn't think that was optimal.

In regard to letting my brain keep it all straight, that's exactly what I'm trying to get away from.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
I'd second the use of folders. Put the related documents in a Finder folder, then drag that folder onto the project in OF to create an easy link. I also keep an Active folder on my desktop that contains aliases to the folders of my active projects. (Thanks, Ethan.)
I tried the make a folder and drag it into the project.. nothing happened. I didn't know that this was possible, but if so it's a start. Time to look in the manual.....
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpathomas View Post
I tried the make a folder and drag it into the project.. nothing happened.
You can drop any file system object (folder, file, application, etc.) into the notes field of an OmniFocus project or action and OF will automatically create a link to the original item. If you're on Leopard, you can then preview the linked item with Quick Look by selecting its icon and hitting the spacebar.

-Dennis
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
You can drop any file system object (folder, file, application, etc.) into the notes field of an OmniFocus project or action and OF will automatically create a link to the original item. If you're on Leopard, you can then preview the linked item with Quick Look by selecting its icon and hitting the spacebar.

-Dennis
Okay, I'll try that today.

Thanks
 
Wow, that's slick.
 
These ideas will make it much easier for me to survive the zombie apocalypse.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any plans for tags in v2? [A: Not planned. See thread in OF1 forum.] JCRB OmniFocus 2 for Mac (Private Test) 23 2013-06-03 03:01 PM
Missing Features? svalesgp OmniFocus for iPhone 0 2012-06-21 11:48 AM
Missing Inspectors ccardiff OmniPlan General 3 2012-02-16 08:49 AM
Missing Contexts macrael OmniFocus 1 for Mac 3 2007-10-21 07:09 PM
missing bookmarks in ow sp misu OmniWeb Bug Reports 3 2007-08-10 10:01 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.