The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Growl on the iPhone Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
As anyone tried using the Prowl iPhone app? http://prowl.weks.net/

It looks like it forwards Growl notifications to the iPhone, which could come in very handy for those of us looking for push notifications for Omnifocus.

I just bought Prowl and tried it out. It works perfectly. The only downsides I see are having to keep my Macbook open all day and juggling two iPhone apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieutenantmudd View Post
I just bought Prowl and tried it out. It works perfectly. The only downsides I see are having to keep my Macbook open all day and juggling two iPhone apps.
I agree-looks really good thus far. I too am a little concerned about leaving my Mac open all the time.

I'm just scratching the surface with it, but Prowl appears to have some really useful features. One in particular is the option to set an inactive period on your Mac before pushing a notification to the iPhone. So if I set this to, say 5 minutes, then while I am working at the Mac, all Growl notifications will appear on (only) the Mac. Once the Mac is inactive for the 5 min, then the notifications are pushed to the iPhone. Really slick, but it would be even better if Prowl on the iPhone could be configured to open OmniFocus when it gets an OF Growl notification instead of opening the Prowl app.

Quote:
I guess I should qualify my statement a little more. It works exactly as expected. That doesn't mean perfect. The only (useful) notices it will throw out are available now, due soon, and overdue. But you only get a notice when actions become one of those three things.

Omni should beef up OmniFocus' growl support (notices every x number of hours of all due soon, flagged actions) and take advantage of the "free" push service Prowl is providing. At least until their web app is finished :)

Or does anyone know a way to make AppleScript force Omnifocus to throw out Growl notices?

It looks like great, it is a solution until OF gets a solution to integrate push notifications somehow.

At work I donīt have a mac, so I use the iPhone app all day, but the gowl notifications are great in the mac, so I'm thinking to buy it, but it won't work if i don't live a mac open all day..

Maybe a web app by Omni Group or something like that will be the way to be the first app GTD with push notifications.

So I'm waiting a little more to see how comes OF 1.7 and the new version of OF for the iphone.. Perspectives syncs and push notifications are my features requests.

Quote:
The only (useful) notices it will throw out are available now, due soon, and overdue. But you only get a notice when actions become one of those three things.

Omni should beef up OmniFocus' growl support (notices every x number of hours of all due soon, flagged actions) ?
I don't think it's so much of a case of omni needing to beef up growl support as it is requiring a large re-write of the O.F. app, which would use resources devoted to major feature additions etc .

as whpalmer mentioned in another thread , omnifocus throws notifications when a trigger is hit , the action becomes available , due , overdue etc .. I don't know what all would be required to have OF send triggers every so often but I'm guessing it wouldn't be minor. I'm not sure why " flagged " actions require a trigger , why not just look under "flagged " actions on the home page of the iphone app?

You could always write an AppleScript that Growls/Prowls based on other criteria. Then schedule the script with your favorite scheduler (Lingon, iCal, Proxi, or just a script with an idle() handler) and ta da! Custom push notifications!