The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Best way to sync bookmarks with FireFox 3.x Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been using Bookit and it worked great until the new version of FireFox, which it doesn’t support. They are hoping to have their new version out in the spring. In the meantime, any suggestions on the best way to sync bookmarks between OW and FF?

thanks.

But given I've already paid for BookIt, and BookDog costs $20 and I'm not particularly interested in spending that money for an interim solution, any other suggestions?

What I've done for now works but is a pain. Use BookIt to sync OW with Safari, then import from Safari bookmarks into FireFox and manually delete old FF bookmarks and replace with the new ones.

does .Mac/MobileMe provide anything that can be of assistance here? I have it but given that I use one laptop, I've never utilized the syncing services.

I don't think MobileMe provides any features that could convert between the different formats OmniWeb and Firefox use to store bookmark information, unfortunately.

thanks, yeah, I wasn’t aware of them but figured it was worth a shot.

I’ve never used Delicious, might that be of assistance here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmathes View Post
thanks.

But given I've already paid for BookIt, and BookDog costs $20 and I'm not particularly interested in spending that money for an interim solution, any other suggestions?

What I've done for now works but is a pain. Use BookIt to sync OW with Safari, then import from Safari bookmarks into FireFox and manually delete old FF bookmarks and replace with the new ones.
That's what I did. I, too, am a BookIt devotee but it seems to be languishing. When I had MobileMe, I was even able to sync my Omniweb bookmarks to IE through Safari and then exported that to Firefox 3.

I'm hoping that when Google Chrome hits the Mac, it will usher in cross platform bookmark syncing and access to bookmarks anywhere in the world, much like what .Mac had.

Last edited by Scalpel; 2009-01-22 at 03:01 PM..

I've finally gotten sync working for all browsers. I, too, have been waiting for Bookit to upgrade, but in the mean time, Foxmarks for Safari has been released. So while it's a bit convoluted, this seems to work for me between three computers (1 with OW, Safari and FF, and the other two with Safari & FF only.) I use Foxmarks to keep Safari and FF3 in sync, and then do a Manual sync between Safari and OW with Bookit. Hope that helps someone...

I'd like to add my voice to Foxmark: I've been happily sync'ing safari and Firefox essentially seamlessly. I still miss Omniweb …