The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Assign colors to Resources? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'd like to be able to assign unique colors to the various resources, but can find no way to do so. Am I overlooking something obvious?

You can adjust the resource colors by selecting a resource in the Resource View and going to the Project : Styles inspector. This also works for customizing task colors as well.

If you want to the ability to set a resource a certain color and have tasks change their color when the resource is assigned, that's not possible in OmniPlan but it is something we're working on for a later version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwong View Post
You can adjust the resource colors by selecting a resource in the Resource View and going to the Project : Styles inspector. This also works for customizing task colors as well.

If you want to the ability to set a resource a certain color and have tasks change their color when the resource is assigned, that's not possible in OmniPlan but it is something we're working on for a later version.
Hello, can you please give me more detailed instructions about this function. I have tried it a number of ways and can't make it work. Thanks.

Under the Project : Styles inspector, you'll see a bunch of canned styles that OmniPlan uses by default. If you click on the + sign below that list, you can create new styles for your own use, and you can control the task bar base color and completion color when you do so. Create such a style, then select the tasks you want to use it. Now go to the Project : Styles inspector and apply that style by pressing the function key shortcut listed next to your style. You can use the View Filter (View->Filter Tasks) to make it easy to select the tasks for a given resource. See pages 64-68 in the current PDF manual (available on the OmniPlan product page) for some more details on styling.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but it doesn't appear to be possible to specify that any tasks assigned to a given resource should get a certain styling, and so you have to assign the tasks first, then style them. Feel free to show me the error of my ways if you know a better way :-)

Speaking of colors, the sample file New Product Development shows different colors for different major task groups. I tried this in the Inspector: Projects: Color, but the task color changes for the entire project.

How do I change the color for a specific set of tasks?

Try View->Gantt Chart->Show Group Shading

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwong View Post

Have you been able to add this feature by now?

Basically, what I would find useful is that I can assign a colour green to a resource called John and a colour red to a resource called Kate. When I assign a task to John, the colour of this task automatically turns green because green is John's colour.

Is that possible with Omniplan?

Thank you,
Ilona

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmenge View Post
Speaking of colors, the sample file New Product Development shows different colors for different major task groups. I tried this in the Inspector: Projects: Color, but the task color changes for the entire project.

How do I change the color for a specific set of tasks?
I think the only way is to select all the tasks you want to have in a special color and then, while these tasks are selected, pick your color in the Style Inspector.
Works for me fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaF View Post
Have you been able to add this feature by now?

Basically, what I would find useful is that I can assign a colour green to a resource called John and a colour red to a resource called Kate. When I assign a task to John, the colour of this task automatically turns green because green is John's colour.

Is that possible with Omniplan?

Thank you,
Ilona
I, too, would love to see this feature. I would love to have tasks change colour based on their respective resource's assigned colours.

Sorry to dig up an old thread for my first post, but has this been implemented? I am looking to implement OMNIPLAN in my office and this would be a nearly essential function. I've done a search and not found anything conclusive. Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help.

cheers,
macitect