The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"New Tab" button Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Didn't see this mentioned elsewhere: I would like a button for opening a new tab, without having to go through a menu in the tabs drawers for it.

What about using the <Command + T> keyboard shortcut?

True. But a one-click button simplifies making a new tab. You can tell I use tabs a lot. :cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalpel
True. But a one-click button simplifies making a new tab. You can tell I use tabs a lot. :cool:
For keyboard shortcuts I use often, I bind them to my extra mouse buttons. For example, Close Current Tag in BBEdit is bound to a button.

That said, I only do that because they key combo is complex. Command+t is one of the easier ones. ;)

Yeah I'm doing something like that for Omniweb now - mouse gesturing with the right mouse button using xGestures. It would be nice though to have a button..

After creating this tab with the mouse, what do you do with it?

Cause if you open a bookmark, you could just open the bookmark in a new tab directly. If you type a URL, you need to use the keyboard already so you might as well use Cmd-T to make the tab since you will need your hands on the keyboard to enter the url.

If you are dragging a link, you can just drag the link into the drawer (once it is open).

Just trying to understand where having a button would actually speed things up compared to the other options for creating a tab.

Len, some situations requiring a new tab include:
1. doing a search from the search text box
2. opening a bookmark in a folder in the favourites bar
3. opening a tab to input a url

In the last case, I can see how ⌘-T then inputting the url without leaving the keyboard makes sense and maybe something I could learn to do - old habits die hard - but having that tab button would be flexible.

For each of the above:
1. Cmd + T, Cmd + Shift + F, type search text.
2. Click on folder, hold down command key, select link
3. Cmd + T, type url.

If you don't want to be maximally efficient, you might as well use the gear or context menu in the drawer since it is only one small drag as new tab is the first item in the context/gear menu.

It's not that I am terribly opposed, it's that if you add a +, then people will want a -, and there is the issue of top or bottom, and really it should go where the thumbnail vs. list picker is, and when you resize the drawer, something needs to give way or the drawer can't be as small as it can now, ...

Didn't expect to get prompt feedback - thanks! :)

I should add that I do think "New Tab" would be a fine option for a toolbar item--but we would need a new icon for it--perhaps in 5.5.1.