The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Major OmniFocus Crash Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Have just installed OSX10.5.5 update to my MacBook Pro. Now Omnifocus will not start up at all. Have sent crash report to OmniGroup.

Has anybody else encountered this?

Help appreciated.

Which version of OF are you running?

Curt

Same for me. I'm on 1.03.

This is bad, too--I'm on a trip and have no way to downgrade to the previous OS.

Mine just mysteriously started working on the third attempt. I didn't change anything, but it's a relief!

Has anyone seen this problem with the Sneekypeek builds? There's no way I'd do an upgrade to 10.5.5 until I know with some degree of certainty that I could access my OF database. I'd be dead in the water.

I'm on 10.5.5 with v77.10.0.104802 & no problems. I don't sync, though.

I'm on 10.5.5 with v77.10.0.104802 & no problems. I do sync, though only with other Macs.

DCB, I know this skirts close to blaming the victim, but whatever possessed you to try an elective operating system upgrade (or any upgrade that will affect some important component) when in a situation where it is impossible to back it out if it goes poorly?!? I am glad that it started working for you without much more than a few white hairs, but I hope that you will be a bit more cautious in the future!

chrobb, you've got proof that any 10.5.5-related OmniFocus problems aren't show-stoppers for everyone running the latest sneaky peeks. How lucky are you feeling today? Is there something on that 10.5.5 feature/bug list that you really need to have, enough to risk trouble with OmniFocus? If the answer to that question is "no, I guess not" then why not wait another day or two? Sure, I went ahead and upgraded to 10.5.5 (mostly to see if the problems reported here were universal), but I did it on a test partition that I can wipe clean if things go poorly, without any real disruption. If I only had one machine and one boot partition, with no easy way to back out of the upgrade, there's NFW I would be installing Apple's latest without waiting a week or so! I might think twice about installing a new version of OmniFocus on a Friday afternoon, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
How lucky are you feeling today? Is there something on that 10.5.5 feature/bug list that you really need to have, enough to risk trouble with OmniFocus? If the answer to that question is "no, I guess not" then why not wait another day or two? Sure, I went ahead and upgraded to 10.5.5 (mostly to see if the problems reported here were universal), but I did it on a test partition that I can wipe clean if things go poorly, without any real disruption. If I only had one machine and one boot partition, with no easy way to back out of the upgrade, there's NFW I would be installing Apple's latest without waiting a week or so!
Personally, I disagree. Just upgrade it. But have a backup. At least time machine. Why would you have 10.5 and not use time machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Personally, I disagree. Just upgrade it. But have a backup. At least time machine. Why would you have 10.5 and not use time machine?
One obvious possibility: your Time Machine disk or Time Capsule didn't take the trip with you! One of the posters did mention that he was on a trip.

Time Machine and a large active Aperture library doesn't seem to be a very happy combination, either.

Couple of comments.

First, as others have said, it's a good idea to back up before major updates. Superduper! is great for this purpose—better than Time Machine—because if you run into a problem, you can simply reverse the process and in a few minutes you're back where you started.

Second, when you run into problems like this, try shutting down and rebooting the computer rather than simply restarting. You can also try to clear out some of the caches using a utility like Onyx (use the Automation scripts (the "cleaning" set)). Also, it helps to run Onyx periodically, like every month or so.

Third, which perhaps I should have mentioned first, run Software Update with no other applications (or users) running, especially for a major update like this one. Do a fresh log-in, holding down the shift-key to keep those pesky 3rd party background processes from starting and messing things up.

Last edited by abh19; 2008-09-17 at 04:33 AM..