The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Question / Feature Request - Directories Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I apologize in advance if this is a bonehead request...

I have a need to generate an OO file of the directory structure of any given folder or volume (including sub folders) and re-do or update it often. Everything I've found so far relies on one form or another of the underlying Unix utilities which will generate the info but not in a useable (for me) format.

The end product I want is an OO file with names that match the Finder and nested just like the actual directory structure - not as a flat list. Features that would be nice but not critical would be adding matching links for the folders, optionally including files in the listing as well as folders, a compare function that showed differences between lists and, as long as I'm wishing, including file/folder size.

This seems pretty simple and I'm sure it's doable with Applescript or even Automator but so far I haven't found a script that generates the data in a way that can be imported into OO easily. By easily I mean without anything but very minor manual editing. For a small listing the manual effort isn't a big deal but for bigger lists or for those that change often it's just not workable.

Do any of you Applescript experts out there know how to do this?

OmniGroup - I think this would be a great feature for your next version. I'm happy with 3.9 but I'd pay for an upgrade just to get this feature.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
--
MacBook Pro 5,1, 10.6.2, OO Pro 3.9.4

I found this thread after searching an answer to this question. I too would love to generate an outline from a folder. Even if it only included the folder names - it would still be very useful to me. Of course, if it also included file names that would be great.

It's such a shame that this post was written 3 years ago and there still hasn't been a response. It would be great there's a script/solution to this somewhere.