The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Creating nested contexts/projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I know this can be done a long-winded way, but creating a project/context and then imbedding it afterwards. Is there a way to do it AS you create the thing in the first place?

Does that even make sense? For that matter, can this be done on the desktop too?

Cheers

Creating nested stuff on the desktop is easy. To create a nested context, select the desired parent in the sidebar, and press cmd-shift-} or use Edit->Outlining->Add Child. Type the context name (it will already be selected) and you are done. I'm unsure what you mean by a nested project, as that could be interpreted as adding a project inside a folder (click on the folder, click the + button or cmd-shift-} or Edit->Outlining->Add Child, edit name), or you might be referring to creating an action group (select the parent action, cmd-shift-} or Edit->Outlining->Add Child, edit name). The general idea is the same.

On the iPhone or iPod, here's how I do it:

Go to the Contexts folder, select the desired parent, then tap the + button. You'll be asked whether to make a new action or a new context.

Projects work the same way (in folders). See the 2nd paragraph down for a tip on populating a new project more easily.

If you want to create an action group, go to the target project, and tap the + button to create a new action which will be the parent. Tap the + button again to create the first action in the action group. Now tap the new action, and tap the folder button at the bottom right to get the Move Action screen. Tap the parent action to move this one inside, and follow the suggestion in the next paragraph to finish building it.

If you're going to build the project or action group on the spot, if you stay in that newly created project, you can just keep tapping the + button to add actions which will already have the project set. If you set the default context as you create the project, those actions will have the context set as well (though you can certainly change it).

The key to making it easier on the iPhone or iPod is going to the spot where you want the new actions to be, and adding them there, so you don't have to do the tedious shuffling. Much better to put it in the right spot initially than to be constantly scrolling up and down in lengthy lists trying to reorganize!

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't clear in what I wanted, completely my fault !

What I mean is this.

When I create a new action from the home screen, how do I create a nested context ? You can create normal contexts, but to make a nested one you have to make a normal context, finish the action, then go off and move it later.

Am I making sense yet ? I think the painkillers are making me less and less literate by the minute !

Ah, now I understand! You want to make a nested context on the spot to finish the new action you are creating. I filed a bug report about the inability to do that back in May (ticket #437942) but it has not been fixed yet so far as I can tell.

On the desktop, you can do so in the outline by typing ":subcontext" after your parent context and then cmd-return. I think it should work the same way on the iPhone, but what you end up with is a top-level context named "parent:subcontext" instead. Send in your bug report (with a reference to my ticket number, too) and maybe the sudden surge of interest in this feature will convince them to act :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Ah, now I understand! You want to make a nested context on the spot to finish the new action you are creating. I filed a bug report about the inability to do that back in May (ticket #437942) but it has not been fixed yet so far as I can tell.

On the desktop, you can do so in the outline by typing ":subcontext" after your parent context and then cmd-return. I think it should work the same way on the iPhone, but what you end up with is a top-level context named "parent:subcontext" instead. Send in your bug report (with a reference to my ticket number, too) and maybe the sudden surge of interest in this feature will convince them to act :)
Got a reply from Omnifocus on Twitter. It's a feature that's missing and they set to file a request. Just seems odd it's in the desktop but not the iPhone app.