The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Projects sort by "due date"? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey,
isn't it possible to set OF that in Project-View my ToDos in a Project will sort by due-date?

I've to mark all to-dos and right click -> sort -> by due-date everytime -.-

Note: I dont want to sort the projects itself by due-date, but the things in my projects. So I can see in Project-View in which order I've to done my things for this Project.

I hope you can understand what I want to do/say ;)
- lms

No, the view bar sorting and grouping functions work on projects in project/planning mode, and on actions in context mode. The underlying notion is that order is significant, and OmniFocus will not change that order unless you direct it to do so, either by dragging actions around or using Edit->Sort on a selection.

It seems, however, that you will be able to group by project in context view in 1.8. I think that should give you what you're after. You can download a sneaky peak already now and give it a try.

No I jsut want to get sort my actions in a project in project-view automatically.

It s#cks if you need to do it manually everytime and I'm on 1.8, but this doesn't help with my problem. It's useless in contextview, because I want to select the whole project and I just want to see all actions in it, but sorted.

But I can't believe that an program like OF can't sort it manually. If I click on "View" and select "Due Date" on "Sort" nothing happens in project-view -.-

So I have to select al actions in this project by hand and right click for "sort by due"!?!? Really really bad x_x

Again, the view bar in project/planning mode groups/sorts projects, not actions, and has always been this way. What you are asking for would only make sense for someone who has each and every project as a parallel project (where tasks can be executed in any order), with no sequencing dependencies between actions.

What does a typical project of yours look like, that you are constantly changing the due dates of different actions and needing the ordering automatically updated? Do you put due dates on each and every action?

You can select a project, focus on it, and switch to context view to see your actions sorted in some fashion without actually reordering the project.

Do the following menu selections produce the view you're looking for?

View -> Context Mode
View -> Sidebar Filter -> All Contexts
View -> Grouping -> Project
View -> Sorting -> Due
View -> Status Filter -> Remaining

This approach will show actions in their project and sorted by due date without actually re-sorting them and breaking that project in the other view. (For some projects, step 1 has to be finished for step 2 to start; an auto sort by due date in project view would break that sort of project.)

If this view does show what you're looking for, you can save it for further use by selecting
Perspectives -> Save window as -> New Perspective.

If that view doesn't do what you want, there may be another combination of settings that does. Let us know what you need done differently and we're happy to help.

I've gotta say that I agree with Imsboy - at least, I think I do.

I use OmniFocus primarily at work (I don't have that many projects on tap around the house, and have a hard time using a computer - or even my iPhone for that matter - as a project management system at home), and the way I have things set up currently have the projects more as the mindset I need to be in to do the project. Because of this, the majority of my projects are parallel - and of the ones that are sequential, most of the actions within the project don't have a specific due date.

For example, right now, some of my projects are:
Need to call (issues I need to discuss with someone the next time I'm on the phone with them)
Recurring To-Dos (semi-general use, mostly items that are set up to repeat every few hours, every day, etc)
Ordering (for reminders of Purchase Orders I need to write and/or submit)
Projects (this should probably be the "Someday" folder I see you guys talking about)

Within these projects, I have a lot of actions - including quite a few repeating actions that are set to start every few hours. Most of them are not dependent on anything else except me being in the right frame of mind to do them and having the appropriate chunk of time to get them done.

Additionally, I live in the "Available" view, as it helps me to gain a bit of sanity - I use start dates to keep stuff that I don't need to work on out of my view.

Because of the repeating tasks I use (which don't show up until the proper amount of time has elapsed since the last time I did that action), I've wished that as soon as they become available to do, they would pop into the list based on when they are due. So, for example, something that I can't do until noon (like waiting for someone on the west coast to get to work) but has to be done by 12:15pm would pop to the top of the list in that project, rather than be buried depending on where OF thought I sorted it to when I created it.

Not sure that all makes sense (and man, this post is longer than I meant it to be!), but maybe that explains one of the reasons that this behavior would be beneficial to some of us.

Thanks!

Flutegirl, would the perspective settings I mentioned in my post (but using Available instead of Remaining for the status filter) work for your purposes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Flutegirl, would the perspective settings I mentioned in my post (but using Available instead of Remaining for the status filter) work for your purposes?
Not really - at least, not with how I use the software right now.

I guess I potentially could do that if I flip-flopped my definition of "project" and "context", and may have to give that a shot when I've got (a lot of!) time.

I did make one change to the way I'm using OF after hearing David Sparks and Merlin Mann talk at MacWorld (and in the process, realizing that the way I was trying to use the software was not how it was made) - I have quit entering due dates for most projects, so right now, I guess that's my workaround. Since very few things have due dates, the ones that do are more obvious, and I just manually move them around as needed if I really need it to float to the top.